Jacob R. Van Rensselaer
Jacob Rutsen Van Rensselaer September 27, 1767 – September 22, 1835 was an American lawyer and Federalist politician who served as Speaker of the New York State Assembly from 1812 to 1813, and Secretary of State of New York, from 1813 to 18151
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 References
Jacob Rutsen Van Rensselaer was born on September 27, 1767 in Claverack, Columbia County, New York He was the second son of Gen Robert Van Rensselaer 1740–1802 and Cornelia née Rutsen Van Rensselaer 1746–1790, who had married in April 17652
His maternal grandparents were Jacob Rutsen 1716–1753 and Alida née Livingston Rutsen 1716–1798 After his grandfather died, his grandmother remarried to Hendrick Van Rensselaer 1712–17932 His paternal grandparents were Johannes Van Rensselaer 1708–1793, a Brigadier General during the American Revolutionary War, a member of the New York Provincial Congress and the 1st New York State Assembly, and Engeltie "Angelica" née Livingston Van Rensselaer 1698–1746/473
He attended Washington Seminary, graduated from Yale University in 1787, studied law and attained admission to the bar1
During the War of 1812, he commanded troops which were drafted in Columbia County, and were ordered to the defense of the city of New York1
Van Rensselaer was a member of the New York State Assembly in 1800, 1808, 1808–09, 1811, 1812, 1812–13, 1814, 1814–15 and 1819; and was Speaker in 1812–131 He was Secretary of State of New York from 1813 to 1815 and was a delegate to the New York State Constitutional Convention of 18211 He was associated with Gov DeWitt Clinton in building the Erie Canal2
He married Cornelia De Peyster, the daughter of Pierre de Peyster Their home, the Jacob Rutsen Van Rensselaer House and Mill Complex, built circa 1805 is today listed on the National Register of Historic Places4 Together, they were the parents of:5
- Cornelia Van Rensselaer, who died young5
- Pierre Van Rensselaer, who died young5
- Cornelia Rensselaer, who died at the age of nineteen5
- Pierre Van Rensselaer, who died at the age of twenty-five5
- Jacob Rutsen Van Rensselaer, who married Emily Denning, granddaughter of William Denning, in 184856
- Robert Schuyler Van Rensselaer c 1810–1874, who married Virginia Kidd5
- Jeremiah Van Rensselaer 1812–1874, who married Mary Fleming, daughter of Gilbert Fleming5
- Catharine Van Rensselaer, who died from grief shortly after the death of her father5
After his death in New York City on September 22, 1835, he was buried in the cemetery at the Reformed Dutch Church of Claverack
- ^ a b c d e Hough, MD, Franklin 1858 The New York Civil List: containing the names and origin of the civil divisions, and the names and dates of election or appointment of the principal state and county officers from the Revolution to the present time Weed, Parsons and Co Retrieved 29 November 2017
- ^ a b c Reynolds, Cuyler 1914 Genealogical and Family History of Southern New York and the Hudson River Valley: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Building of a Nation Lewis Historical Publishing Company p 1158 Retrieved 29 November 2017
- ^ Bergen, Tunis Garret 1915 Genealogies of the State of New York: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation 3 Lewis Historical Publishing Company OCLC 39110613
- ^ Larry E Gobrecht July 1982 "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Jacob Rutsen Van Rensselaer House and Mill Complex" New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation Retrieved 2010-07-03 See also: "Accompanying 28 photos"
- ^ a b c d e f g h i Society, National American 1907 Americana, American historical magazine p 202 Retrieved 29 November 2017
- ^ MacDonough, Rodney 1901 The MacDonough-Hackstaff Ancestry Press of S Usher pp 159–161 Retrieved 29 November 2017
- 1 Genealogy of Livingston family
- 2 Bio at Rootsweb
- The New York Civil List compiled by Franklin Benjamin Hough pages 33, 57, 173, 181f, 184f, 187ff, 194 and 312; Weed, Parsons and Co, 1858
|Speaker of the New York State Assembly
|Secretary of State of New York
Peter B Porter
Jacob R. Van Rensselaer Information about
Jacob R. Van Rensselaer
Jacob R. Van Rensselaer
Jacob R. Van Rensselaer viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.