Jacob Luriejacob lurie, jacob lurie fields medal
Jacob Alexander Lurie born December 7, 1977 is an American mathematician who is a professor at Harvard University
- 1 Life
- 2 Mathematical work
- 3 Publications
- 4 References
- 5 External links
When he was a student in the Science, Mathematics, and Computer Science Magnate Program at Montgomery Blair High School, Lurie took part in the International Mathematical Olympiad, where he won a gold medal with a perfect score in 1994 In 1996 he took first place in the Westinghouse Science Talent Search and was featured in a front-page story in Washington Times Lurie earned his Bachelor's degree in mathematics from Harvard College in 2000 and was awarded in the same year the Morgan Prize for his undergraduate thesis on Lie algebras He earned his PhD from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology under supervision of Michael J Hopkins, in 2004 with a thesis on derived algebraic geometry In 2007, he became associate professor at MIT, and in 2009 he became professor at Harvard
Lurie's research interests started with logic and the theory of surreal numbers, while he was still in high school He is best known for his work, starting with his thesis, on infinity-categories and derived algebraic geometry Derived algebraic geometry is a way of infusing homotopical methods into algebraic geometry, with two purposes: deeper insight into algebraic geometry eg into intersection theory and the use of methods of algebraic geometry in stable homotopy theory The latter area is the topic of Lurie's work on elliptic cohomology Infinity categories in the form of Joyal's quasi-categories are a convenient framework to do homotopy theory in abstract settings They are the main topic of his book Higher Topos Theory
Another part of Lurie's work is his article on topological field theories, where he sketches a classification of extended field theories using the language of infinity-categories cobordism hypothesis In joint work with Dennis Gaitsgory, he used his Nonabelian Poincaré duality in an algebraic-geometric setting, to prove the Siegel mass formula for function fields[disambiguation needed]
Lurie was one of the inaugural winners of the Breakthrough Prize in Mathematics in 2014, "for his work on the foundations of higher category theory and derived algebraic geometry; for the classification of fully extended topological quantum field theories; and for providing a moduli-theoretic interpretation of elliptic cohomology" Lurie was also awarded a MacArthur "Genius Grant" Fellowship in 2014
- Lurie, Jacob 2009, Higher Topos Theory, Annals of Mathematics Studies, 170, Princeton University Press, arXiv:mathCT/0608040 , ISBN 978-0-691-14049-0, MR 2522659
- ^ "Jacob Lurie Named Professor of Mathematics at Harvard", Harvard University, December 18, 2008
- ^ Dillon, Sam July 20, 1994, "Perfect Score for Americans in World Math Tourney", New York Times
- ^ Lacharite, Gretchen March 12, 1996, "Unreal mind gets top prize in science: Bethesda teen wins talent search", Washington Times
- ^ ——— 2001 "On simply laced Lie algebras and their minuscule representations" PDF Commentarii Mathematici Helvetici 76 3: 515–575 doi:101007/PL00013217
- ^ Bradt, Steve December 18, 2008 "Algebra, topology expert Lurie named professor of mathematics" Harvard Gazette Retrieved June 24, 2014
- ^ Conway, John H; Jackson, Allyn July 1996 "Budding Mathematician Wins Westinghouse Competition" PDF Notices of the American Mathematical Society Retrieved 2016-09-26
- ^ "Five Winners Receive Inaugural Breakthrough Prize in Mathematics" Breakthrough Prize Retrieved June 24, 2014
- ^ "Jacob Lurie - MacArthur Fellow 2014" MacArthur Foundation Retrieved 17 September 2014
- Lurie's website at Harvard
- Jacob Lurie at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Jacob Lurie's results" International Mathematical Olympiad
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it|
jacob lurie, jacob lurie eliana hechter, jacob lurie email, jacob lurie fields medal, jacob lurie harvard, jacob lurie higher to pos theory, jacob lurie interview, jacob lurie loop spaces, jacob lurie mathematics, jacob lurie mathoverflow
Jacob Lurie Information about
Jacob Lurie viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.