Indians in Madagascarpeople in madagascar country, quran indians in madagascar
Indians in Madagascar form a community of roughly 25,000 individuals according to the statistics of India's Ministry of External Affairs; other estimates of their population range from 15,000 to 30,000 Among them are 867 non-resident Indians, with the rest being locally born descendants of early immigrants12 They form a minority ethnic group in Madagascar
- 1 History
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 31 Notes
- 32 Sources
- 4 Further reading
By the 1880s, a community of roughly 200 Indian traders had formed at Mahajanga, a port on the north-west coast of Madagascar, near Bombetoka Bay at the mouth of the Betsiboka River Confusion arose over their legal status; they often declared themselves to be Malagasy subjects in order to evade the laws against slave-holding or the building of stone houses, both forbidden to British subjects, while their dhows, which they used to transport goods to and from the African mainland, flew French flags3 Initial arrivals were mainly Muslim Khojas, Ismailis and Daoudi Bohras, with some Hindus settling later4 The 1911 census found 4,480 Indians in the country, making them 21% of the total foreign population and the second-largest foreign population after the French5 Following the nationalisation of private businesses in the 1970s, many were compelled to leave; those who remained were largely uneducated, but stayed on and gradually built their businesses By 2000, they were generally believed to control 50-60% of the country's economy, making them the target of demonstrators during periods of unrest6
- Chinese people in Madagascar
- Hinduism in Madagascar
- Demographics of Madagascar
- ^ a b Singhvi 2000, p 94
- ^ A 2001
- ^ Oliver 1885, pp 115, 206
- ^ Singhvi 2000, p 105
- ^ Martin 1916, p 906
- ^ Singhvi 2000, p 106
- A, Kathirasen 2001-07-31, "A vibrant minority: The Chinese and Indians, who make up a tiny minority in Madagascar, are doing very well for themselves", New Straits Times, Singapore, retrieved 2008-10-28
- Martin, Frederick 1916, "Madagascar", The Statesman's Year-book: The Statesman's Year-book: Statistical and Historical Annual of the States of the World for the Year 1916, St Martin's Press, pp 905–908
- Oliver, Samuel Pasfield 1885, The True Story of the French Dispute in Madagascar, Unwin
- Singhvi, L M 2000, "Other Countries of Africa", Report of the High Level Committee on the Indian Diaspora PDF, New Delhi: Ministry of External Affairs, pp 89–109, archived from the original PDF on 2012-02-06
- Stratton, Arthur 1964, "The Chinese and the Indians", The Great Red Island: A Biography of Madagascar, Scribner, pp 26–44, OCLC 1670237
- Blanchy, Sophie 2004-01-22, Karana Et Banians: Les Communautes Commercantes D'Origine Indienne A Madagascar, Harmattan, ISBN 978-2-7384-2656-7
|See also: Vazimba|
indians in madagascar, people in madagascar, people in madagascar africa, people in madagascar country, quran indians in madagascar
Indians in Madagascar Information about
Indians in Madagascar
Indians in Madagascar
Indians in Madagascar viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.