Immunoglobulin Yimmunoglobulin y, where to buy immunoglobulin y
Immunoglobulin Y abbreviated as IgY is a type of immunoglobulin which is the major antibody in bird, reptile, and lungfish blood It is also found in high concentrations in chicken egg yolk As with the other immunoglobulins, IgY is a class of proteins which are formed by the immune system in reaction to certain foreign substances, and specifically recognize them
IgY is often mislabelled as Immunoglobulin G IgG in older literature, and sometimes even in commercial product catalogues, due to its functional similarity to mammalian IgG and Immunoglobulin E IgE However, this older nomenclature is obsolete, since IgY differs both structurally and functionally from mammalian IgG, and does not cross-react with antibodies raised against mammalian IgG
Since chickens can lay eggs almost every day, and the yolk of an immunised hen's egg contains a high concentration of IgY, chickens are gradually becoming popular as a source of customised antibodies for research Usually, mammals such as rabbits or goats are injected with the antigen of interest by the researcher or a contract laboratory
Ducks produce a truncated form of IgY which is missing part of the Fc region As a result, it cannot bind complement or be picked up by macrophages
IgY has also been analyzed in the Chinese soft-shelled turtle, Pelodiscus sinensis
- 1 Characteristics
- 2 Bioanalytic applications
- 3 Utilization in foods
- 4 Literature
- 5 References
In chickens, immunoglobulin Y is the functional equivalent to Immunoglobulin G IgG Like IgG, it is composed of two light and two heavy chains Structurally, these two types of immunoglobulin differ primarily in the heavy chains, which in IgY have a molecular mass of about 65,100 atomic mass units amu, and are thus larger than in IgG The light chains in IgY, with a molar mass of about 18,700 amu, are somewhat smaller than the light chains in IgG The molar mass of IgY thus amounts to about 167,000 amu The steric flexibility of the IgY molecule is less than that of IgG
Functionally, IgY is partially comparable to Immunoglobulin E IgE, as well as to IgG However, in contrast to IgG, IgY does not bind to Protein A, to Protein G, or to cellular Fc receptors Furthermore, IgY does not activate the complement system The name Immunoglobulin Y was suggested in 1969 by GA Leslie and LW Clem, after they were able to show differences between the immunoglobulins found in chicken eggs, and immunoglobulin G Other synonymous names are Chicken IgG, Egg Yolk IgG, and 7S-IgG
As compared to mammalian antibodies, IgY offers various advantages for the targeted extraction of antibodies and their application in bioanalysis Since the antibodies are extracted from the yolks of laid eggs, the method of antibody production is non-invasive Thus, no blood must be taken from the animals for the extraction of blood serum
The available quantity of a given antibody is considerably increased through repeated egg laying from the same hen The cross-reactivity of IgY with proteins from mammals is also markedly less than that of IgG Furthermore, the immune response against certain antigens in chickens is more strongly expressed than in rabbits or other mammals
Of the immunoglobulins arising during the immune response, only IgY is found in chicken eggs Thus, in preparations from chicken eggs, there is no contamination with Immunoglobulin A IgA or Immunoglobulin M IgM The yield of IgY from a chicken egg is comparable to that of IgG from rabbit serum
One disadvantage of IgY, as compared to mammalian antibodies, is that the isolation of IgY from egg yolk is more difficult than the isolation of IgG from blood serum This is due in large part to the fact that IgY cannot be bound with Protein A and Protein G Thus, it cannot be separated from other components of the assay, for example from other proteins Additionally, the egg yolk's rich store of lipids and lipoproteins must be removed Antibody-containing blood serums, on the other hand, can sometimes be directly used in bioanalysis, ie, without complicated isolation steps
Utilization in foods
Particularly in Asian countries, IgY has been clinically tested as a food supplement and preservative For example, yogurt products containing pathogen specific IgY, have been tested for their ability to reduce Helicobacter pylori in the stomach by hindering the attachment of the bacterial to the stomach lining The IgY used for this purpose is extracted from the eggs of immunized hens Antibodies against Salmonella and other bacteria, as well as against viruses, are produced in this manner, and employed as a nutritional component for protection against these pathogens The Food Safety Lab of Ocean University of China has experimented with using IgY specific to the bacteria Shewanella putrefaciens and Pseudomonas fluorescens as a food preservative for fish The shelf life of fish treated with the IgY was extended from 9 days to 12 – 15 days demonstrating a significant antimicrobial activity to the specific bacteria
- Rüdiger Schade, Irene Behn, Michael Erhard: Chicken Egg Yolk Antibodies, Production and Application Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-540-66679-6
- GA Leslie, LW Clem: Phylogeny of immunoglobulin structure and function 3 Immunoglobulins of the chicken In: Journal of Experimental Medicine 1306/1969 Rockefeller University Press, S 1337-1352, ISSN 0022-1007
- A Polson, MB von Wechmar, MH van Regenmortel: Isolation of viral IgY antibodies from yolks of immunized hens In: Immunological Communications 95/1980 Dekker New York, S 475-493, ISSN 0090-0877
- A Polson, MB von Wechmar, G Fazakerley: Antibodies to proteins from yolk of immunized hens In: Immunological Communications 95/1980 Dekker New York, S 495-514, ISSN 0090-0877
- Table comparing mammalian IgG and IgE with avian IgY and duck truncated IgY Gallus Immunotech, accessed 28 October 2010
- ^ Larsson A, Bålöw RM, Lindahl TL, Forsberg PO Poult Sci 1993 Oct;7210:1807-12Chicken antibodies: taking advantage of evolution--a review
- ^ Structure, Function and Physicochemical Properties of IgY, Gallus Immunotech Accessed 28 October 2010
- ^ REVIEW - Chicken Antibodies- IgY - http://wwworamunecom/customaspxid=7
- ^ Davison, T Fred; Bernd Kaspers; Karel Antoni Schat 2008 Avian Immunology Academic Press p 418 ISBN 978-0-12-370634-8
- ^ Lundqvist, Mats L; Darlene L Middleton; Cynthia Radford; Gregory W Warr; Katharine E Magor "Immunoglobulins of the non-galliform birds: Antibody expression and repertoire in the duck" Developmental & Comparative Immunology 30 1-2: 93–100 doi:101016/jdci200506019 PMC 1317265 PMID 16150486
- ^ Zhen Xu, Gai L Wang, P Nie Mol Immunol 2009 vol 46 10 pp 2124-32 IgM, IgD and IgY and their expression pattern in the Chinese soft-shelled turtle Pelodiscus sinensis
- ^ Elvira Schecklies 1996 in German, Polyklonale Antikörper Erste Auflage ed, Weinheim: VCH Verlagsgesellschaft mBH
- ^ Suzuki H, Nomura S, Masaoka T, et al July 2004 "Effect of dietary anti-Helicobacter pylori-urease immunoglobulin Y on Helicobacter pylori infection" Aliment Pharmacol Ther 20 Suppl 1: 185–92 doi:101111/j1365-2036200402027x PMID 15298626
- ^ Horie K, Horie N, Abdou AM, et al December 2004 "Suppressive effect of functional drinking yogurt containing specific egg yolk immunoglobulin on Helicobacter pylori in humans" Journal of Dairy Science 87 12: 4073–9 doi:103168/jdsS0022-03020473549-3 PMID 15545368
- ^ Xu, Yafu; Lin, Hong; Sui, Jianxin; Cao, Limin November 2011 "Effects of specific egg yolk antibody IgY on the quality and shelf life of refrigerated paralichthys olivaceus" Journal of the Science of food and Agriculture 92 6: 1267–72 doi:101002/jsfa4693 Retrieved 19 February 2015
|see also disorders of globin and globulin proteins|
immunoglobulin y, immunoglobulin yolk, immunoglobulin york pa 17401 united states, immunoglobulin youtube, where to buy immunoglobulin y
Immunoglobulin Y Information about
Immunoglobulin Y viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.