Hypoaldosteronismhypoaldosteronism symptoms, hypoaldosteronism
Hypoaldosteronism is an endocrinological disorder characterized decreased levels of the hormone aldosterone Similarly, isolated hypoaldosteronism is the condition of having lowered aldosterone without corresponding changes in cortisol The two hormones are both produced by the adrenals
- 1 Causes
- 2 Diagnosis
- 3 Treatment
- 4 Effects
- 5 See also
- 6 References
There are several causes for this condition, including adrenal insufficiency, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, and some medications such as certain diuretics, NSAIDs, and ACE inhibitors
- Primary aldosterone deficiency
- Primary adrenal insufficiency
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia 21 and 11β but not 17
- Aldosterone synthase deficiency
- Secondary aldosterone deficiency
- Secondary adrenal insufficiency
- Diseases of the pituitary or hypothalamus
- Hyporeninemic hypoaldosteronism due to decreased angiotensin 2 production as well as intra-adrenal dysfunction
- Renal dysfunction-most commonly diabetic nephropathy
|This section is empty You can help by adding to it November 2017|
- Aldosterone deficiency should be treated with a mineralocorticoid such as fludrocortisone, as well as possibly a glucocorticoid for cortisol deficiency, if present
- Hyporeninemic hypoaldosteronism is amenable to fludrocortisone treatment, but the accompanying hypertension and edema can prove a problem in these patients, so often a diuretic such as the thiazide diuretic, bendrofluazide, or a loop diuretic, such as furosemide is used to control the hyperkalemia
Hypoaldosteronism may result in hyperkalemia and is the cause of 'type 4 renal tubular acidosis', sometimes referred to as hyperkalemic RTA or tubular hyperkalemia However, the acidosis, if present, is often mild It can also cause urinary sodium wasting, leading to volume depletion and hypotension
When adrenal insufficiency develops rapidly, the amount of Na+ lost from the extracellular fluid exceeds the amount excreted in the urine, indicating that Na+ also must be entering cells When the posterior pituitary is intact, salt loss exceeds water loss, and the plasma Na+ falls However, the plasma volume also is reduced, resulting in hypotension, circulatory insufficiency, and, eventually, fatal shock These changes can be prevented to a degree by increasing the dietary NaCl intake Rats survive indefinitely on extra salt alone, but in dogs and most humans, the amount of supplementary salt needed is so large that it is almost impossible to prevent eventual collapse and death unless mineralocorticoid treatment is also instituted
- Addison's disease
- Adrenal gland
- ^ Becker, Kenneth L 2001 Principles and practice of endocrinology and metabolism Lippincott Williams & Wilkins pp 785– ISBN 978-0-7817-1750-2 Retrieved 15 July 2011
- ^ a b DeFronzo RA 1980 "Hyperkalemia and hyporeninemic hypoaldosteronism" Kidney Int 17 1: 118–34 doi:101038/ki198014 PMID 6990088
- ^ Sebastian A, Schambelan M, Sutton JM 1984 "Amelioration of hyperchloremic acidosis with furosemide therapy in patients with chronic renal insufficiency and type 4 renal tubular acidosis" Am J Nephrol 4 5: 287–300 doi:101159/000166827 PMID 6524600
hypoaldosteronism, hypoaldosteronism and potassium, hypoaldosteronism causes, hypoaldosteronism diagnosis, hypoaldosteronism in dogs, hypoaldosteronism mayo clinic, hypoaldosteronism symptoms, hypoaldosteronism treatment, hypoaldosteronism vs adrenal insufficiency, hypoaldosteronism wiki
Hypoaldosteronism Information about
Hypoaldosteronism viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.