Hugh Lloyd-Jonesdavid lloyd-jones, hugh lloyd-jones
Sir Peter Hugh Jefferd Lloyd-Jones FBA 21 September 1922 – 5 October 2009 was a British classical scholar and Regius Professor of Greek at Oxford
Lloyd-Jones was educated at Westminster School where he developed an interest in Modern History before being converted to Classics by his Headmaster, J T Christie He pursued undergraduate and postgraduate studies at Christ Church, Oxford His studies were interrupted by the Second World War, during which he learned Japanese and served in the Intelligence Corps in India, turning down the opportunity to work at Bletchley Park to serve in Burma He ended the War as a Captain
Lloyd-Jones took a first degree in Greats in 1948 and gained several University prizes For a while he was a Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge, and while there met his first wife, Frances Hedley, a Classics student at Newnham College, whom he married in 1953 The couple had two sons and a daughter and were divorced in 1981 In 1951 Lloyd-Jones returned to Oxford where he became the first holder of the E P Warren Praelectorship at Corpus
Lloyd-Jones supervised many distinguished D Phil students, including Martin Litchfield West In his inaugural address as Regius Professor in 1961 he called for a reduction in the emphasis laid on composition taught to undergraduates and suggested that Honour Moderations might have to be reformed to encompass studies taken from ancient philosophy and history as well as the traditional literature and language
He contributed editions of Menander's Dyscolus 1960 and of Sophocles 1990, together with Nigel Wilson to the Oxford Classical Texts, and editions and translations of the Aeschylean fragments 1960 and of Sophocles 2000 to the Loeb Classical Library
Lloyd-Jones was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 1966 and was a member of five foreign academies, holding honorary doctorates from the universities of Chicago, Tel Aviv, Göttingen and Thessaloniki His retirement from the Regius Chair in 1989, after twenty-nine years, was marked by a knighthood
He married secondly Mary R Lefkowitz, Professor Emerita of Classical Studies at Wellesley College in Massachusetts, in 1982, and spent his last years at their home in Wellesley
- Lloyd-Jones, Hugh, Blood for the Ghosts: Classical Influences in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1983
- ________ Classical Survivals: The Classics in the Modern World London: Duckworth, 1982
- ________ Greek Comedy, Hellenistic Literature, Greek Religion, and Miscellanea: The Academic Papers of Sir Hugh Lloyd-Jones Oxford: Oxford University Press, Clarendon Press, 1990
- ________ Greek Epic, Lyric, and Tragedy: The Academic Papers of Sir Hugh Lloyd Jones Oxford: Oxford University Press, Clarendon Press, 1990
- ________ Greek in a Cold Climate London: Duckworth, 1991
- ________ The Justice of Zeus 2nd ed Sather Classical Lectures, no 42 Berkeley: University of California Press, 1983
- ________ Mythical Beasts London: Duckworth, 1980
- ________ Myths of the Zodiac New York: St Martin's, 1978
- Lloyd-Jones, Hugh, ed, Females of the Species: Semonides on Women Park Ridge, NJ: Noyes, 1975
- Lloyd-Jones, Hugh, and Nigel Guy Wilson, Sophoclea: Studies on the Text of Sophocles Oxford: Oxford University Press, Clarendon Press, 1990
- ________ Sophocles: Second Thoughts Hypomnemata, no 100 Götttingen : Vandenhoeck und Ruprecht, 1997
- Lloyd-Jones, Hugh, and Nigel Guy Wilson, eds, Sophoclis Fabulae, Scriptorum classicorum bibliotheca Oxoniensis Oxford Classical Texts New York: Oxford University Press, 1990
- ^ a b c Obituary, The Daily Telegraph, 5 October 2009
- ^ a b c d Obituary in The Times 9 October 2009
- ^ British Academy fellowship record Archived 6 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine
E R Dodds
|Regius Professor of Greek
University of Oxford
1960 to 1989
Peter J Parsons
david lloyd-jones, david lloyd-jones conductor, david lloyd-jones conductor contact, david lloyd-jones delius, david lloyd-jones home kelowna, hugh lloyd-jones, john lloyd-jones, mark lloyd-jones, sir hugh lloyd-jones
Hugh Lloyd-Jones Information about
Hugh Lloyd-Jones viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.