Hacker Newshacker news, hacker news network
Hacker News is a social news website focusing on computer science and entrepreneurship It is run by Paul Graham's investment fund and startup incubator, Y Combinator In general, content that can be submitted is defined as "anything that gratifies one's intellectual curiosity"
- 1 History
- 2 Vision, practices, and criticism
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
The site was created by Paul Graham in February 2007 Initially it was called Startup News or occasionally NewsYC On August 14, 2007, it became known by its current name It developed as a project of his company Y Combinator, functioning as a real-world application of the Arc programming language which Graham co-developed
At the end of March 2014, Graham stepped away from his leadership role at Y Combinator, leaving Hacker News administration in the hands of other staff members
Vision, practices, and criticism
While the intention was to recreate a community similar to the early days of Reddit, Hacker News differs in that there is no option to down-vote submissions; submissions can either be voted up or not voted on at all, although spam submissions can be flagged As of 2013, approximately 100 votes were needed to promote a story to the site's front page Comments however can be down-voted after a user accumulates 500 "karma" points, which are computed as the "number of upvotes on a user’s submission and comments minus the number of downvotes"
Graham has stated he hopes to avoid the Eternal September that results in the general decline of intelligent discourse within a community The site has a proactive attitude in moderating content, including automated flame and spam detectors It also practices stealth banning in which user posts stop appearing for others to see, unbeknownst to the user Additional software is employed to detect "voting rings to purposefully vote up stories"
According to a 2013 TechCrunch article:"Graham says that Hacker News gets a lot of complaints that it has a bias toward featuring stories about Y Combinator startups, but he says there is no such biasGraham adds that he gets a lot of vitriol from users personally with accusations of bias or censoring"
- News aggregators
- Y Combinator operator
- ^ Graham, Paul "Hacker News Guidelines" Retrieved 2009-04-29
- ^ a b c d e f Leena Rao May 18, 2013 "The Evolution of Hacker News" TechCrunch Retrieved 10 August 2014
- ^ "Startup News Becomes Hacker News"
- ^ a b Paul Graham "What I've Learned from Hacker News"
- ^ Colleen Taylor 29 March 2014 "After Stepping Aside From Y Combinator, Paul Graham Hands Over The Reins At Hacker News" TechCrunch Retrieved 10 August 2014
- ^ Isaac, Mike 29 March 2014 "Paul Graham Steps Down From Daily Hacker News Duties" Re/code Retrieved 10 August 2014
- ^ Paul Graham "New:Y Combinator Startup News"
- ^ "Reply to:Downvoted comments are bad for the community" Hacker News Retrieved 12 May 2016
- ^ "Pando:Can the democratic power of a platform like Hacker News be applied to products" Pando
- Official website
hacker news, hacker news api, hacker news computers, hacker news daily, hacker news in hindi, hacker news jobs, hacker news network, hacker news rss, hacker news search, hacker news who is hiring
Hacker News Information about
Hacker News viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge.The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.