H. F. Gierke IIIh f gierke iii forks, h f gierke iiii
H F Gierke III born Herman Fredrick Gierke III; March 13, 1943 – August 7, 2016 was an American judge who served as the Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces from 2004 to 2006 He was a Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, from 1991 to 2004, and a Justice of the North Dakota Supreme Court from 1983 to 1991 Gierke also served as the National Commander of The American Legion, from 1988 to 1989
- 1 Early life and career
- 2 The American Legion
- 3 Death
- 4 Honors
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Early life and career
Gierke earned his bachelor of arts and juris doctor degrees from the University of North Dakota From there, he went on to serve in the United States Army Judge Advocate General's Corps between 1967 and 1971 This included one year as a military judge in Vietnam During his active military service, he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal, Vietnam service and campaign medals In 1983, Governor Allen Olson appointed him Justice of the North Dakota Supreme Court
He was elected in 1984 and re-elected in 1986 for a 10-year term In 1991, he resigned from the North Dakota Supreme court when President George H W Bush appointed him to the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces On October 1, 2004, he assumed duties of chief judge on the court of appeals He later moved to Orlando, Florida, where he was a visiting professor, distinguished jurist, and adjunct instructor at the Dwayne O Andreas School of Law 1998-2008
The American Legion
A member of Carl E Rogen Post No 29 of The American Legion in Watford City, North Dakota, his slogan as national commander was "Proud to be an American" Prior to his election as national commander at the Legion's 70th National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky, he served as commander of Post No 29 at age 36, as Department of North Dakota commander from 1983-1984, and as national vice commander from 1985-1986 During his tenure as national commander, Gierke was called upon to lead the initial challenges to the Supreme Court's Texas v Johnson decision, which extended free speech rights to desecration of the US flag
Gierke died on August 7, 2016, at the age of 73, in Bismarck, North Dakota
Gierke served as President of the North Dakota Blue Star Bar Association 1982-1983 and was an award winning professor at the George Washington University Law School and The Catholic University of America In 2002 and 2004, he was honored as the Best Adjunct Faculty Member at CUA's Columbus School of Law
- List of North Dakota Supreme Court Justices
- List of people from North Dakota
- List of University of North Dakota people
- ^ a b c "Herman Fredrick "Sparky" Gierke III, Justice of the Supreme Court, 1983-1991" North Dakota Supreme Court Retrieved August 4, 2016
- ^ Legion Picks Commander, Louisville, KY: Los Angeles Times, 9 September 1988, p 16, retrieved 17 June 2016
- ^ a b c Stoffer, Jeff, ed October 2016 "Gierke was first Vietnam War national commander" The American Legion Indianapolis, IN p 64 ISSN 0886-1234
- ^ Johnson, Peter "UND To Award Two Honorary Degrees One Posthumously To Williston Natives At Spring Commencement Ceremonies May 14" UND News, 5 May 2005
- ^ "Students Pronounce the Sentence: He's Great! Archived September 9, 2006, at the Wayback Machine" 'The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law'
- H F Gierke III at Find a Grave
|Offices and distinctions|
h f gierke ii iii, h f gierke iii forks, h f gierke iiii, h f gierke iiiiiiii
H. F. Gierke III Information about
H. F. Gierke III
H. F. Gierke III
H. F. Gierke III viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.