Grafton, New Hampshiregrafton new hampshire cemetaries, grafton new hampshire tent city
Grafton is a town in Grafton County, New Hampshire, United States The population was 1,340 at the 2010 census1
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Government
- 5 Politics
- 6 Sites of interest
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Originally granted in 1761, and re-granted in 1769, Grafton, like the county it resides in, takes its name from Augustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton,2 a relative of colonial governor Benning Wentworth Grafton was incorporated in 1778citation needed
Historically, Grafton's economic base consisted of subsistence farming, small-scale industry, and mining Several mica mines and granite quarries once dotted the town's landscape, most notably Ruggles MineThe United Mica Company operated this mill between 1909 and 1916 Image c 1909
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 426 square miles 1103 km2, of which 417 square miles 1080 km2 is land and 09 square miles 23 km2 is water, comprising 219% of the town3 The highest point in Grafton is the summit of Melvin Mountain, at 2,177 feet 664 m above sea level Grafton Pond is in the western part of town Grafton lies mostly within the Merrimack River watershed, though the western edge of town is in the Connecticut River watershed4
|US Decennial Census6|
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,340 people, 564 households, and 372 families residing in the town The population density was 321 people per square mile 124/km² There were 839 housing units at an average density of 201 per square mile 78/km² The racial makeup of the town was 967% White, 03% African American, 02% Native American, 04% Asian, 01% some other race, and 22% from two or more races Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15% of the population1
There were 564 households out of which 241% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 544% were headed by married couples living together, 71% had a female householder with no husband present, and 340% were non-families 264% of all households were made up of individuals, and 74% consisted of someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older The average household size was 238, and the average family size was 2841
In the town, the population was spread out with 188% under the age of 18, 52% from 18 to 24, 237% from 25 to 44, 365% from 45 to 64, and 146% who were 65 years of age or older The median age was 456 years For every 100 females there were 1087 males For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 1121 males1
At the 2000 census, the median income for a household in the town was $38,654, and the median income for a family was $41,875 Males had a median income of $30,074 versus $23,750 for females The per capita income for the town was $16,944 About 42% of families and 79% of the population were below the poverty line, including 100% of those under age 18 and 41% of those age 65 or overIn continuous operation since the 1840s, this store is now known as the Grafton Country Store Image c 1919
Grafton is governed by a three-person select board
Grafton is an active hub for libertarians in the Free State Project Grafton's appeal as a favorable destination is due to its absence of zoning laws and a very low property tax rate7
Grafton was the focus of the "Free Town Project", a movement begun by members of the Free State Project that sought to encourage libertarians to move to the town Despite the fact that the project became defunct after controversy8 between organizers and local residents, many libertarians continue to move as part of the overall Free State Project Since then, Grafton has become a center of libertarian activism with a strong focus on homesteading, marijuana legalization and agorism9
Sites of interestedit
- Ruggles Mine
- ^ a b c d "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data DP-1: Grafton town, Grafton County, New Hampshire" US Census Bureau, American Factfinder Archived from the original on September 11, 2013 Retrieved July 10, 2012
- ^ Gannett, Henry 1905 The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States Govt Print Off p 140
- ^ "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data G001 – Grafton town, New Hampshire" US Census Bureau American Factfinder Archived from the original on September 11, 2013 Retrieved November 10, 2011
- ^ Foster, Debra H; Batorfalvy, Tatianna N; Medalie, Laura 1995 Water Use in New Hampshire: An Activities Guide for Teachers US Department of the Interior and US Geological Survey
- ^ "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015" Archived from the original on June 2, 2016 Retrieved July 2, 2016
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing" Censusgov Archived from the original on May 12, 2015 Retrieved June 4, 2016
- ^ "FAQ's about Property Taxes and Assessments" Town of Grafton, NH
- ^ Roche, BJ 20 June 2004 "Grafton's Messy Liberation" Boston Globe Retrieved 5 April 2011
- ^ Barskey, Mike "What is the Grafton Free Market" freegraftoncom
- Town of Grafton official website
- New Hampshire Economic and Labor Market Information Bureau Profile
- Grafton, New Hampshire Historical Society
|Adjacent places of Grafton, New Hampshire|
|County seat: Haverhill|
grafton new hampshire cemetaries, grafton new hampshire church fire, grafton new hampshire historical society, grafton new hampshire lodging, grafton new hampshire population, grafton new hampshire real estate, grafton new hampshire registry of deeds, grafton new hampshire restaurants, grafton new hampshire tent city, grafton new hampshire zip code
Grafton, New Hampshire Information about
Grafton, New Hampshire
Grafton, New Hampshire
Grafton, New Hampshire viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.