Glycylcyclineglycylcycline antibiotic, glycylcyclines
Glycylcyclines are a new class of antibiotics derived from tetracycline These tetracycline analogues are specifically designed to overcome two common mechanisms of tetracycline resistance, namely resistance mediated by acquired efflux pumps and/or ribosomal protection Presently, tigecycline is the only glycylcycline approved for antibiotic use
- 1 History
- 11 Approvals
- 2 Mechanism of action
- 3 Mechanisms of resistance
- 4 Side effects and contraindications
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The development of these agents was spurred by the increasing prevalence of bacteria resistant to tetracyclines These agents were first synthesized in the early 1990s by making modifications to the tetracyclines By adding a bulky N,N-dimethylglycylamido side chain to position 9 of minocycline, the compound became less susceptible to tetracycline resistance mediated by acquired efflux pumps and/or ribosomal protection Further development of this initial work led to the creation of tigecycline, the first glycylcycline available for clinical use
- Tigecycline FDA approved in 2005
Mechanism of action
Glycylcycline antibiotics have a similar mechanism of action as tetracycline antibiotics They block protein synthesis hence preventing bacterial reproduction Both classes of antibiotics bind to the 30S ribosomal subunit to prevent the amino-acyl tRNA from binding to the A site of the ribosome However, the glycylcyclines appear to bind more effectively than the tetracyclines
Mechanisms of resistance
While glycylcyclines have greater efficacy against organisms with tetracycline resistance mediated by acquired efflux pumps and/or ribosomal protection, the glycylcyclines are not effective against organisms with chromosomal efflux pumps, such as Pseudomonas and Proteeae
Side effects and contraindications
Since glycylcyclines are similar to tetracyclines, they share many of the same side effects and contraindications as tetracyclines These side effects may include nausea/vomiting, headache, photosensitivity, discoloration of growing teeth, and fetal damage
These antibiotics should not be given to pregnant women due to risk of fetal harm Additionally, these drugs should not be administered during periods of tooth development because of the risk of tooth discoloration Due to glycylcyclines' similarities with tetracyclines, hypersensitivity reactions to tetracycline antibiotics may predispose one to hypersensitivity reactions with glycylcycline antibiotics; hence, glycylcyclines should be used with caution in these patients
- ^ Bergeron J, Ammirati M, Danley D, et al September 1996 "Glycylcyclines bind to the high-affinity tetracycline ribosomal binding site and evade TetM- and TetO-mediated ribosomal protection" Antimicrob Agents Chemother 40 9: 2226–8 PMC 163507 PMID 8878615
- ^ Livermore DM October 2005 "Tigecycline: what is it, and where should it be used" J Antimicrob Chemother 56 4: 611–4 doi:101093/jac/dki291 PMID 16120626
- ^ "List of adverse events for Tigecycline" Tygacil Side Effects Center RxListcom Retrieved 18 December 2016
- Smith KL, McCabe SM, Aeschlimann JR August 1, 2005 "Tigecycline: A novel glycylcycline antiobiotic" Formulary
- Tygacil tigecycline IV manufacturer website
- Zhanel GG, Homenuik K, Nichol K, et al 2004 "The glycylcyclines: a comparative review with the tetracyclines" Drugs 64 1: 63–88 doi:102165/00003495-200464010-00005 PMID 14723559
- RxListcom list of adverse reactions to Tigecycline
glycylcycline antibiotic, glycylcycline antibiotic, glycylcycline definition, glycylcycline definition, glycylcycline pronunciation, glycylcycline pronunciation, glycylcycline structure, glycylcycline structure, glycylcyclines, glycylcyclines, glycylcyclines photosensitivity, glycylcyclines photosensitivity, glycylcyclines pronunciation, glycylcyclines pronunciation
Glycylcycline Information about
Glycylcycline viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.