Ghatashraddha error: }: text has italic markup help is a 1977 Indian Kannada language film directed by Girish Kasaravalli starring Meena Kuttappa, Naraya Bhat and Ajith Kumar in lead roles It is based on a novella by eminent Kannada writer U R Ananthamurthy The film was Girish Kasaravalli's first feature film as a director, and marked not only the arrival of a promising new filmmaker but also that of Kannada cinema in the India's 'New Cinema' horizon
The film won three awards at the 25th National Film Awards, awarded for films of 1977 It won the award for Best Feature Film, Best Music Direction B V Karanth and Best Child Artist Ajith Kumar
In 2002, Ghatashraddha became the only Indian film to be chosen by the National Archive of Paris among 100 others, during the centenary celebrations of cinema At the 2009 International Film Festival of India, it was announced one of the 20 best films in Indian cinema, having received 16 million votes
- 1 Plot
- 2 Cast
- 3 Production
- 4 Awards
- 5 References
- 6 External links
A young Brahmin Vedic school student, who is from an aristocratic family, befriends his school master's daughter who is a pregnant widow The boy tries but fails in concealing his friend's pregnancy The widow has an abortion forced on her, has the eponymous ritual performed on her and is excommunicated The student returns home as his school shuts down
- Meena Kuttappa as Yamuna
- Narayana Bhat as Shastri
- Ajith Kumar as Naani
- Ramaswamy Iyengar
- H S Parvathi
Girish Kasaravalli approached U R Ananthamurthy for the rights of Ghatashraddha through dramatist K V Subbanna Ananthamurthy, who was in the US at the time, gave his go-ahead on hearing the screenplay from Kasaravalli, on his return to India It was on the former's suggestion that Meena Kuttappa, his former student, was signed to play the female lead in the film
Awards25th National Film Awards
- Best Feature Film
- Best Music Direction — B V Karanth
- Best Child Artist — Ajith Kumar
- First Best Film
- Best Story — U R Ananthamurthy
- Best Screenplay — Girish Kasaravalli
- Best Child Actor — Ajith Kumar
- ^ southasiancinema
- ^ "Asiatic Film Mediale" asiaticafilmmedialeit Archived from the original on 16 November 2008
- ^ "Girish Kasaravalli to be felicitated" The Hindu 25 April 2011 Retrieved 25 March 2014
- ^ "Ghatashraddha, one of the 20 best movies" The Times of India 4 December 2009 Retrieved 1 April 2015
- ^ Maslin, Janet 1979-04-24 "Ghatashraddha 1977 The Screen: A Vignette From India" The New York Times Retrieved 3 February 2013
- ^ "Ghatashraddha was ideal for a movie: Girish Kasaravalli" The Times of India 23 August 2014 Retrieved 1 April 2015
- Ghatashraddha on IMDb
- Overview at NY Times
- ಕನ್ನಡಸಾಹಿತ್ಯಕಾಮ್ ನಿಂದ ಗಿರೀಶ್ ಕಾಸರವಳ್ಳಿ ಗೌರವಾರ್ಥ - ಕನ್ನಡ ಪರ್ಯಾಯ ಸಿನಿಮಾ ರಸಗ್ರಹಣ ಶಿಬಿರ
Ghatashraddha Information about
Ghatashraddha viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.