Gerd R. Puindr gerd r puin, gerd r puin
Gerd Rüdiger Puin born 1940 is a German scholar on Qur'anic historical orthography, the study and scholarly interpretation of ancient manuscripts He is also a specialist in Arabic paleography He was a lecturer of Arabic at Saarland University, in Saarbrücken Germany
- 1 Sana'a Qur'an find
- 2 Assessment of the Qur'an
- 3 Written publications
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Sana'a Qur'an findeditGerd R Puin photo of one of his Sana'a Qur'an parchments
Gerd Puin was the head of a restoration project, commissioned by the Yemeni government, which spent a significant amount of time examining the ancient Qur'anic manuscripts discovered in Sana'a, Yemen, in 1972, in order to find criteria for systematically cataloging them According to writer Toby Lester, his examination revealed "unconventional verse orderings, minor textual variations, and rare styles of orthography and artistic embellishment"1 The scriptures were written in the early Hijazi Arabic script, matching the pieces of the earliest Qur'ans known to exist Some of the papyrus on which the text appears shows clear signs of earlier use, being that previous, washed-off writings are also visible on it In 2008 and 2009 Dr Elisabeth Puin published detailed results of the analysis of Sanaa manuscript DAM dar al-makhtutat 0127-1 proving that the text was still in flux in the time span between the scriptio inferior and the scriptio superior of the palimpsest23
More than 15,000 sheets of the Yemeni Qur'ans have painstakingly been cleaned, treated, sorted, cataloged and photographed and 35,000 microfilmed photos have been made of the manuscripts Some of Puin's initial remarks on his findings are found in his essay titled the "Observations on Early Qur'an Manuscripts in San'a" which has been republished in the book What the Koran Really Says by Ibn Warraq
With his approach of research Puin is a representative of the "Saarbrücken School" which is part of the Revisionist School of Islamic Studies
Assessment of the Qur'anedit
In an article in 1999 Atlantic Monthly, Gerd Puin is quoted as saying that:
My idea is that the Koran is a kind of cocktail of texts that were not all understood even at the time of Muhammad Many of them may even be a hundred years older than Islam itself Even within the Islamic traditions there is a huge body of contradictory information, including a significant Christian substrate; one can derive a whole Islamic anti-history from them if one wants
The Koran claims for itself that it is 'mubeen,' or 'clear,' but if you look at it, you will notice that every fifth sentence or so simply doesn't make sense Many Muslims—and Orientalists—will tell you otherwise, of course, but the fact is that a fifth of the Koranic text is just incomprehensible This is what has caused the traditional anxiety regarding translation If the Koran is not comprehensible—if it can't even be understood in Arabic—then it's not translatable People fear that And since the Koran claims repeatedly to be clear but obviously is not—as even speakers of Arabic will tell you—there is a contradiction Something else must be going on1
- Ohlig, Karl-Heinz; Puin, Gerd-Rüdiger 2007 Die dunklen Anfänge Neue Forschungen zur Entstehung und frühen Geschichte des Islam The obscure beginnings: new research on the origin and early history of Islam in German 3rd ed Berlin: Verlag Hans Schiler ISBN 978-3-89930-128-1 LCCN 2006374620 OCLC 173644215
- Ohlig, Karl-Heinz; Puin, Gerd-Rüdiger 2009 The hidden origins of Islam : new research into its early history 1st ed Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books ISBN 978-1-59102-634-1 LCCN 2008049316 OCLC 179808111
- Hans-Caspar Graf von Bothmer; Karl-Heinz Ohlig; Gerd-Rüdiger Puin 1999 "Über die Bedeutung der ältesten Koranfragmente aus Sanaa Jemen für die Orthographiegeschichte des Korans In: Neue Wege der Koranforschung" On the meaning of the oldest Quran fragments from Sana'a Yemen on the orthographic history of the Quran In: New Ways in Quran Research PDF, 04 MB magazin forschung Saarland University 1999 1: 37–40 ISSN 0937-7301
- Sana'a manuscript
- Christoph Luxenberg
- Patricia Crone
- John Wansbrough
- History of the Qur'an
- Puin, Gerd-R 1996 "Observations on Early Qur'an Manuscripts in Ṣanʿāʾ" In Stefan Wild The Qur'an as Text Leiden, Netherlands: E J Brill pp 107–111 ISBN 978-90-04-10344-3 LCCN 95030502 OCLC 243818821 Reprinted in What the Koran Really Says, ed Ibn Warraq, Prometheus Books, 2002, ISBN 978-1-57392-945-5
- ^ a b Lester, Toby January 1999 "What Is the Koran" Atlantic Monthly ISSN 1072-7825 Retrieved 5 November 2014
- ^ Puin, Elisabeth 2008 "Ein früher Koranpalimpsest aus Ṣanʿāʾ - I Einführung An early Quran palimpsest from Sana'a - I: Introduction" In Markus Groß, Karl-Heinz Ohlig Schlaglichter: Die beiden ersten islamischen Jahrhunderte At a glance: The first two Islamic centuries in German 1st ed Berlin: Verlag Hans Schiler pp 461– ISBN 978-3-89930-224-0 LCCN 2009379219 OCLC 299070399
- ^ Groß, Markus; Ohlig, Karl-Heinz 2009 "Ein früher Koranpalimpsest aus Ṣanʿāʾ - II An early Quran palimpsest from Sana'a - II " In Markus Groß, Karl-Heinz Ohlig Vom Koran zum Islam From the Quran to Islam Schriften zur frühen Islamgeschichte und zum Koran Writings on the early Islamic history and on the Quran in German 4 1st ed Berlin: Verlag Hans Schiler pp 523–581 ISBN 978-3-89930-269-1 LCCN 2010359348 OCLC 496960079
- Atlantic Monthly article: What is the Koran
- Guardian article: Querying the Koran
dr gerd r puin, gerd r puin
Gerd R. Puin Information about
Gerd R. Puin
Gerd R. Puin
Gerd R. Puin viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Random Posts (searchxengine.com)
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.