Geneva Conference (1932)geneva disarmament conference 1932
The Second Geneva Naval Conference was a conference held in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1932, to discuss naval arms limitation It followed a previous disarmament conference, the Geneva Naval Conference, in 1927
Apart from naval disarmaments, a reduction in land forces and limits on weapons were also discussed at the conference
Thirty-one nations, including the United States, USSR and Germany, came to the conference seeking a reduction in general arms Some progress was made but, when Adolf Hitler came into power in 1933, he took Germany out of the Geneva Conference and the League of Nations
The US ambassador to Belgium and minister to Switzerland and conference delegate, Hugh S Gibson, had observed not long after the London Conference, the United States had decreased interest in the new conference because treaties already limited its navy, its army was so small that reduction was ludicrous, and the proposed measures of air limitation were so vague that they meant little Gibson wrote that the conference would "probably meet in February or March 1932 and, discouraging as it may sound, it will probably go on and on" He had come to believe that armaments would never be abolished completely but that treaties could perhaps maintain military balances
US Secretary of State Henry L Stimson later wrote that Americans regarded the Geneva Conference as "a European peace conference with European political questions to be settled The necessary work of settling them must be done by the leaders of Europe" Stimsom realized that Germany's position in European affairs could not be ignored as it had been at Geneva in 1927 or at London in 1930, but he did not know how to reconcile German military ambition with French fear of its neighbor Stimson therefore hoped the Europeans might find a solution The secretary also hesitated over further naval disarmament because of the Manchurian crisis; in particular he worried whether the navy possessed enough aircraft carriers for possible action in the Far East
- World Disarmament Conference
- London Naval Treaty
- Second London Naval Treaty
- Washington Naval Conference
- ^ Olson, James Stuart 2001 Historical dictionary of the Great Depression, 1929-1940 Greenwood Publishing Group p 124 ISBN 0-313-30618-4mw-parser-output citecitationmw-parser-output citation qmw-parser-output id-lock-free a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-free amw-parser-output id-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output id-lock-registration a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-registration amw-parser-output id-lock-subscription a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-subscription amw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registrationmw-parser-output cs1-subscription span,mw-parser-output cs1-registration spanmw-parser-output cs1-ws-icon amw-parser-output codecs1-codemw-parser-output cs1-hidden-errormw-parser-output cs1-visible-errormw-parser-output cs1-maintmw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registration,mw-parser-output cs1-formatmw-parser-output cs1-kern-left,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-leftmw-parser-output cs1-kern-right,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-rightmw-parser-output citation mw-selflink
- ^ Fanning, Richard W 1995 Peace and disarmament: naval rivalry & arms control, 1922-1933 University Press of Kentucky p 150
|This history article is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it|
|This naval article is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it|
geneva disarmament conference 1932
Geneva Conference (1932) Information about
Geneva Conference (1932)
Geneva Conference (1932)
Geneva Conference (1932) viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.