Freedom, New Hampshirefreedom new hampshire rentals, freedom new hampshire cottages for rent
Freedom is a town located in Carroll County, New Hampshire, United States The population was 1,489 at the 2010 census1 The town's eastern boundary runs along the Maine state border Ossipee Lake, with a resort and camps, is in the southwest of the town
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Sites of interest
- 5 Notable people
- 6 References
- 7 External links
HistoryeditThe Meadows c 1910
The town was once a part of Effingham called "North Effingham" Following an influx of new settlers from Maine, there was a conflict of culture and religion between them and people from the New Hampshire seacoast area who already populated Effingham As a result, North Effingham separated into a town of its own The community, incorporated in 1831, was appropriately named "Freedom"
The town was the setting for the children's fantasy book The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth, first published in 1956 but reissued years later, and a 2001 broadcast of This American Life, "House on Loon Lake" The episode depicted an abandoned house explored by young boys in town for summer camp at Loon Lake
GeographyeditSchoolhouse in 1911
Freedom is situated between the Lakes Region and the White Mountains According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 381 square miles 99 km2, of which 350 square miles 91 km2 is land and 31 square miles 80 km2 is water, comprising 823% of the town2 The highest point in the town is the summit of Cragged Mountain, at 1,806 feet 550 m above sea level Freedom is drained by the Ossipee River and lies fully within the Saco River watershed3
Freedom is one of several sites for Nature's Classroom It is also home to one of the permanent campsites of the Luethi-Peterson Camps and to Cragged Mountain Farm, a co-ed summer camp on Cragged Mountain started by Dr Henry Utter in 1927, and still owned by the Utter family
|US Decennial Census5|
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,489 people, 699 households, and 457 families residing in the town The population density was 425 people per square mile 164/km² There were 1,580 housing units at an average density of 451 per square mile 174/km² The racial makeup of the town was 988% White, 01% African American, 03% Asian, 01% some other race, and 07% from two or more races1
There were 699 households out of which 190% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 569% were headed by married couples living together, 57% had a female householder with no husband present, and 346% were non-families 289% of all households were made up of individuals, and 145% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older The average household size was 212, and the average family size was 2571Philbrick House in 1916
In the town, the population was spread out with 156% under the age of 18, 49% from 18 to 24, 168% from 25 to 44, 359% from 45 to 64, and 269% who were 65 years of age or older The median age was 531 years For every 100 females there were 1015 males For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 978 males1
For the period 2007-11, the estimated median annual income for a household in the town was $47,375, and the median income for a family was $50,769 Male full-time workers had a median income of $40,536 versus $33,958 for females The per capita income for the town was $32,537 About 60% of families and 72% of the population were below the poverty line, including 134% of those under the age of 18 and 36% of those 65 and older6
The largest ancestry groups in Freedom as of 2007-11 were:
- 298% English
- 272% Irish
- 220% French and French Canadian
- 96% Scottish
- 77% Swedish
- 75% German
- 57% Scotch-Irish
- 52% Italian7
Sites of interestedit
- Allard House & Works Museum, Freedom Historical Society
- Frank S Black summer resident, 32nd governor of New York
- ^ a b c d "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data DP-1: Freedom town, Carroll County, New Hampshire" US Census Bureau, American Factfinder Retrieved March 8, 2013
- ^ "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data G001 - Freedom town, New Hampshire" US Census Bureau American Factfinder Archived from the original on September 11, 2013 Retrieved November 7, 2011
- ^ Foster, Debra H; Batorfalvy, Tatianna N; Medalie, Laura 1995 Water Use in New Hampshire: An Activities Guide for Teachers US Department of the Interior and US Geological Survey
- ^ "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015" Retrieved July 2, 2016 permanent dead link
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing" Censusgov Archived from the original on May 12, 2015 Retrieved June 4, 2016
- ^ "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2007-2011 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates DP03: Freedom town, Carroll County, New Hampshire" US Census Bureau, American Factfinder Retrieved March 8, 2013
- ^ "Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2007-2011 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates DP02: Freedom town, Carroll County, New Hampshire" US Census Bureau, American Factfinder Retrieved March 8, 2013
- Town of Freedom official website
- New Hampshire Economic and Labor Market Information Bureau Profile
- Freedom Public Library
- Freedom Old Home Week
- "House on Loon Lake" episode of This American Life
|Adjacent places of Freedom, New Hampshire|
|County seat: Ossipee|
freedom new hampshire campground, freedom new hampshire cottages for rent, freedom new hampshire fire department, freedom new hampshire funeral homes, freedom new hampshire galway kinnell, freedom new hampshire grocery store, freedom new hampshire newspapers, freedom new hampshire rentals, freedom new hampshire school district, freedom new hampshire weather forecast
Freedom, New Hampshire Information about
Freedom, New Hampshire
Freedom, New Hampshire
Freedom, New Hampshire viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.