Flying Down to Rioflying down to rio, flying down to rio youtube
Flying Down to Rio is a 1933 American Pre-Code RKO musical film noted for being the first screen pairing of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, although Dolores del Río and Gene Raymond received top billing and the leading roles Among the featured players Franklin Pangborn and Eric Blore are notable The songs in the film were written by Vincent Youmans music and Gus Kahn and Edward Eliscu lyrics, with musical direction and additional music by Max Steiner This is the only film in which screen veteran Rogers was billed above famed Broadway dancer Astaire
The black-and-white film later computer-colorized was directed by Thornton Freeland and produced by Merian C Cooper and Lou Brock The screenplay was written by Erwin S Gelsey, HW Hanemann and Cyril Hume, based on a story by Lou Brock and a play by Anne Caldwell Linwood Dunn did the special effects for the celebrated airplane-wing-dance sequence at the end of the film
- 1 Plot
- 2 Cast
- 3 Music
- 4 Reception
- 5 Notes
- 6 External links
PloteditDolores del Río and Gene Raymond in the film The first screen announcement of the Astaire-Rogers partnership, in the trailer for Flying Down to Rio
Composer Roger Bond Gene Raymond and his orchestra are appearing in Miami, with vocalist Honey Hales Rogers Despite the warnings of accordionist and assistant band leader Fred Ayres Astaire, Roger is attracted to the beautiful and flirtatious Belinha Dolores del Río in the audience He leaves the bandstand to pursue her
Doña Elena Blanche Friderici, Belinha's chaperone, is informed of this, and arranges for Roger and the band to be fired But Roger pursues Belinha to Brazil, and organises an engagement for the band at the Hotel Atlântico in Rio de Janeiro, unaware that the hotel is owned by Belinha's father Walter Walker Roger persuades Belinha to allow him to fly her there in his private plane, which runs into trouble inflight, forcing a landing on an apparently deserted island Under the moonlight, she falls into his arms, while admitting to him that she is already engaged
In Rio, Roger informs his good friend Julio Raul Roulien that he has fallen in love, but finds out that Belinha is engaged to Julio During rehearsals for the Hotel's opening a brief bit of Astaire tap, Fred is told by police that the hotel lacks an entertainment license When Roger spots a plane overhead, he comes up with the idea of strapping dancing girls to planes, with Fred leading the band and Honey and Julio leading the planes The show is a great success and the hotel's future guaranteed Julio gives Belinha up to Roger while Fred and Honey celebrate23
All the songs in Flying Down to Rio were written by Vincent Youmans music and Gus Kahn and Edward Eliscu lyrics The dance director was Dave Gould, assisted by Hermes Pan, who went on to be Astaire's primary choreographer
- "Flying Down to Rio" – sung by Fred Astaire, danced by Ginger Rogers and the chorus
- "Music Makes Me" – sung by Ginger Rogers, some general dancing
- "Orchids in Moonlight" – sung by Raul Roulien, danced a bit by Fred Astaire and Dolores del Rio; this became a popular tango song
- "Carioca" – sung by Alice Gentle, Movita Castaneda and Etta Moten, danced by Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers and the chorus;4 this is notable for being Astaire and Rogers' first dance together; they dance with their foreheads touching
According to RKO records the film made $923,000 in the United States and Canada and $622,000 elsewhere, resulting in an estimated profit of $480,0001
The film is recognized by American Film Institute in these lists:
- 2004: AFI's 100 Years100 Songs:
- "Carioca" – Nominated5
- 2006: AFI's Greatest Movie Musicals – Nominated6
- ^ a b c Richard Jewel, 'RKO Film Grosses: 1931-1951', Historical Journal of Film Radio and Television, Vol 14 No 1, 1994 p55
- ^ Billman, Larry 1997 Fred Astaire - A Bio-bibliography Connecticut: Greenwood Press p 82 ISBN 0-313-29010-5
- ^ Erickson, Hal 2015 "Flying Down to Rio" AllMusic Retrieved June 13, 2015
- ^ "Flying Down to Rio" Reel Classics 2009 Retrieved June 13, 2015
- ^ "AFI's 100 Years100 Songs Nominees" PDF Retrieved 2016-08-13
- ^ "AFI's Greatest Movie Musicals Nominees" PDF Retrieved 2016-08-13
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Flying Down to Rio film|
- Flying Down to Rio on Internet Movie Database
- Flying Down to Rio at AllMovie
- Flying Down to Rio at the TCM Movie Database
- Flying Down to Rio at Rotten Tomatoes
- Airplanes Represented in the film Flying Down to Rio
|Films with music by Youmans||
flying down to rio, flying down to rio 1933 movie, flying down to rio aerial ballet, flying down to rio cast list, flying down to rio fred astaire, flying down to rio music, flying down to rio posters, flying down to rio song, flying down to rio with ginger rogers, flying down to rio youtube
Flying Down to Rio Information about
Flying Down to Rio
Flying Down to Rio
Flying Down to Rio viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.