Eric Priesteric priest navy, eric priest
Eric Ronald Priest, FRSE, FRS born 7 November 1943 holds the Gregory Chair of Mathematics and is a Bishop Wardlaw Professor at St Andrews University
He is a recognised authority in solar magnetohydrodynamics or MHD for short, the study of the subtle, and often nonlinear, interaction between the Sun's magnetic field and its plasma interior or atmosphere, treated as a continuous medium Priest is an applied mathematician and, along with the other members of his research group at St Andrews, is currently investigating a large number of solar phenomena, including sunspots, coronal heating, wave propagation, magnetic reconnection, magnetic instabilities, magnetic structures and helioseismology This is done using mathematical modelling techniques and observational data from satellites such as SoHO, Yohkoh and TRACE, or ground-based observatories such as Kitt Peak and Big Bear In 2000 he was the James Arthur Prize Lecturer at Harvard University Professor Priest has received a number of academic awards for his research, including Hale Prize of the American Astronomical Society 2002, and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in the same year He is notable in the solar physics community as something of an evangelist for the importance of magnetic reconnection in driving many solar phenomena, and as an explanation of the solar coronal heating problem
As an applied mathematician, his research interests involve constructing mathematical models for the subtle and complex ways in which magnetic fields interact with plasmas in the atmosphere of the Sun and in more exotic cosmic objects In particular, he is trying to understand how the corona of the Sun is heated to several million degrees and how magnetic energy is converted into other forms in solar flares
In the area of science and religion, he considers himself aware of the importance of trying in small ways to encourage dialogue and understanding between Islam and Christianity and recently spoke on science and culture to 850 schoolchildren in Alexandria, Egypt He has also preached in St Andrews on the tensions between Christianity and science and spoke on "Creativity in Science" at a conference on Creativity and the Imagination He is active in the local Anglican church and enjoys hill-walking, bridge, singing in a couple of choirs and spending time with his wife Clare and four children
Awards and honours
- James Arthur Prize Lecturer at Harvard University 2000
- George Ellery Hale Prize of the American Astronomical Society 2002
- Fellow of the Royal Society 2002
- Gold Medal for Astrophysics of the Royal Astronomical Society 2009
- Fellow of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
- Doctor of Science honoris causa, University of St Andrews 2013
Recent selected publications
- Priest, ER 2006 'Our enigmatic Sun', Recent Advances in Astronomy and Astrophysics ed N Solomos American Institute of Physics, Melville USA
- Priest, ER 2006 'Creativity in science', Proc Conf on Creativity and Imagination ed T Hart
- Priest, ER and Forbes, TG 2002 'The magnetic nature of solar flares', Astron and Astrophys Rev 10, 313–377
- Priest, ER, Heyvaerts, JF and Title, AM 2002 'A Flux Tube Tectonics Model for solar coronal heating driven by the magnetic carpet', Astrophys J, 576, 533–551
- Priest, ER and Forbes, TG 2000 Magnetic Reconnection: MHD Theory and Applications, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Priest, ER 1982 Solar Magnetohydrodynamics, D Reidel, Holland
Notes and references
- ^ Cargill, P; Parnell, C; Browning, P; De Moortel, I; Hood, A 2010 "Magnetic reconnection in the solar atmosphere: From proposal to paradigm" Astronomy & Geophysics 51 3: 331 Bibcode:2010A&G51c31C doi:101111/j1468-4004201051331x
- ^ Faraday Institute Biography Archived 30 December 2006 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ World’s Leading Astronomers And Geophysicists Honoured By Royal Astronomical Society 10 January 2009
- ^ "Gruppe 2: Fysikkfag herunder astronomi, fysikk og geofysikk" in Norwegian Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters Retrieved 7 October 2010
- ^ "Laureation address – Professor Eric Priest FRSE FRS" University of St Andrews Retrieved 30 November 2013
|List of Fellows of the Royal Society|
eric priest, eric priest boxer, eric priest clc, eric priest cv, eric priest landscaping, eric priest navy, eric priest outdoor, eric priest university of oregon, eric priest wrestler, eric priestley acting classes
Eric Priest Information about
Eric Priest viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.