Engineering controlsengineering controls, engineering controls for bloodborne pathogens
Engineering controls are strategies designed to protect workers from hazardous conditions by placing a barrier between the worker and the hazard or by removing a hazardous substance through air ventilation12 Engineering controls involve a physical change to the workplace itself, rather than relying on workers' behavior or requiring workers to wear something3
Engineering controls is the third of five members of the hierarchy of hazard controls, which orders control strategies by their feasibility and effectiveness Engineering controls are preferred over administrative controls and personal protective equipment PPE because they are designed to remove the hazard at the source, before it comes in contact with the worker Well-designed engineering controls can be highly effective in protecting workers and will typically be independent of worker interactions to provide this high level of protection The initial cost of engineering controls can be higher than the cost of administrative controls or PPE, but over the longer term, operating costs are frequently lower, and in some instances, can provide a cost savings in other areas of the process4
Elimination and substitution are usually considered to be separate levels of hazard controls, but in some schemes they are categorized as types of engineering control56
The US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health researches engineering control technologies, and provides information on their details and effectiveness in the NIOSH Engineering Controls Database47
- Fume hood
- Biosafety cabinet
- Vented balance safety enclosure
- Sticky mat
- HVAC system
- Rupture disc
This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- ^ "NIOSH Directory of Engineering Controls" US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Retrieved 2016-06-13
- ^ Roelofs, Cora 1 January 2007 Preventing Hazards at the Source American Industrial Hygiene Association pp 9ff ISBN 978-1-931504-83-6
- ^ "Hierarchy of Controls" PDF US Occupational Safety and Health Administration Retrieved 2017-03-09
- ^ a b "Hierarchy of Controls - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic" US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Retrieved 2017-01-30 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain
- ^ "Hazard Identification, Elimination and Control" Health Sciences Association of Alberta Retrieved 2017-03-13
- ^ Nix, Doug 2011-02-28 "Understanding the Hierarchy of Controls" Machinery Safety 101 Retrieved 2017-03-10
- ^ "Engineering Controls Database" US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Retrieved 2017-01-30
- Harold E Roland; Brian Moriarty 10 October 1990 System Safety Engineering and Management John Wiley & Sons pp 73– ISBN 978-0-471-61816-4
- Jeanne Mager Stellman 1 January 1998 Encyclopaedia of Occupational Health and Safety: Chemical, industries and occupations International Labour Organization pp 871– ISBN 978-92-2-109816-4
- Jeanne Mager Stellman 1998 Encyclopaedia of Occupational Health and Safety: The body, health care, management and policy, tools and approaches International Labour Organization pp 1026– ISBN 978-92-2-109814-0
|This engineering-related article is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
engineering controls, engineering controls administrative controls, engineering controls and work practices, engineering controls examples, engineering controls for bloodborne pathogens, engineering controls for noise, engineering controls for noise exposure, engineering controls in the workplace, engineering controls osha, engineering controls safety
Engineering controls Information about
Engineering controls viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.