Eigil of Fulda
Eigil also called Aeigil c750-822 was the fourth abbot of Fulda He was the nephew and biographer of the abbey's founder and first abbot Saint Sturm1 We know about Eigil primarily from the Latin Life Vita Aegili that the monk and teacher of Fulda, Candidus Bruun composed about him after his death2
Eigil's parents, who were nobles of Norica, sent him to the abbey of Fulda still Under Sturm's rule for his education3 Sturm died in 779 and was succeeded by Baugulf4
The next abbot, Ratgar, with his excessive severity, caused deep divisions in the monastery In 811, monks from Fulda, possibly including Egil, petitioned Emperor Charlemagne to remove the abbot Finally, in 817, Ratgarius was denounced by the monks Charlemagne's son and successor, Louis the Pious, banished Ratgar and sent two of his delegates, Aaron and Adalfrid, along with their associates to reform the abbey according to proper monastic discipline 23 Eigil was elected in 818,5 and, says Candidus, brought harmony to the monastery once again26 In a poem,7 his student and successor Hrabanus Maurus celebrated his clemency and gentleness,supporting Candidus' positive portrait
Under Eigil, several building projects were dedicated at Fulda In 819, the Archbishop Haistolf came to Fulda to dedicate the Basilica of Saint Boniface who was considered a co-founder of the abbey, with his disciple Sturm, and Boniface's holy relics - his bones - were translated that is, conveyed in a public religious ceremony to the new Basilica5
Eigil died in 822 and was succeeded by the head teacher of Fulda's school, Hrabanus Maurus,5 one of his former pupils Candidus' Vita treats Eigil as a saint, but other writers, such as Hrabanus do not
- 1 Works
- 2 Bibliography
- 3 See also
- 4 External links
- 5 References
Eigil wrote a Life of Saint Sturm, who was a disciple of Saint Boniface as well as the founder, in 742 or 744, and first abbot of the abbey of Fulda 747-779
- Candidus Bruun Vita Aeigili, liber II = vita metrica In E Duemmeler, ed Monumenta Germaniae Historica Poetae Latini Aevi Carolini Vol II Berlin, 1884, pp 94–117
- Gereon Becht-Jördens "Vita Aegil abbatis Fuldenis a Candido ad Modestum edita prosa et versibus Ein Opus geminum des IX Jahrhunderts Einleitung und kritische Edition" phil Diss Heidelberg, Marburg Selbstverlag 1994
- Gereon Becht-Jördens Die Vita Aegil abbatis Fuldensis des Brun Candidus Ein opus geminum aus dem Zeitalter der anianischen Reform in biblisch figuralem Hintergrundstil Frankfurt am Main 1992 ISBN 3-7820-0649-6
- Gereon Becht-Jördens "Die Vita Aegil des Brun Candidus als Quelle zu Fragen aus der Geschichte Fuldas im Zeitalter der anianischen Reform" In Hessisches Jahrbuch für Landesgeschichte 42 1992, pp 19–48
- Christine Ineichen-Eder "Künstlerische und literarische Tätigkeit des Candidus-Brun von Fulda" In Fuldaer Geschichtsblätter 56, 1980, p 201-217 without notes but with illustrations of considerable value also in Winfrid Böhne Ed Hrabanus Maurus und seine Schule Festschrift der Rabanus-Maurus-Schule 1980 Fulda 1980, p 182-192
- Pius Engelbert 1968, Die Vita Sturmi des Eigil von Fulda: Literarkritisch-historische Untersuchung und Edition
- Chr Browerus, Vita Sancti Stumi Primi Abbatis Fuldensis, in Sidera Germaniae Mainz, 161:6, pp 5–24 The critical edition is found in Monumenta Germaniae Historica, Scriptores, vol II, pp 366–77
Abbey of Fulda
- Raban Maur
- Candidus Bruun of Fulda
- Sturm of Fulda
- Ratgar of Fulda
- Eigil's Life of Saint Sturm in English translation
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bautz 1975 "Eigil Egil, 4 Abt von Fulda" In Bautz, Friedrich Wilhelm Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon BBKL in German 1 Hamm: Bautz col 1479 ISBN 3-88309-013-1
- Candidus' Life of Eigil in verse and prose and Egil's Life of Sturm, in Latin
- ^ Medieval Sourcebook: Eigil: Life of St Sturm
- ^ a b c Candidus Bruun, Vita Aeigili, in E Duemmeler, ed Monumenta Germaniae Historica Poetae Latini Aevi Carolini II Berlin, 1884, pp 94-117
- ^ a b Candidus Bruun, Vita Eigili, in E Duemmeler, ed Monumenta Germaniae Historica Scriptores XV1 Hannover, 1887, cap1
- ^ Annales Fuldenses in Monumenta Germaniae Historica Scriptores 1, p 353
- ^ a b c Annales Fuldenses in Monumenta Germaniae Historica Scriptores 1, p 357
- ^ Candidus Bruun, Vita Aeigili, in E Duemmeler, ed Monumenta Germaniae Historica Poetae Latini Aevi Carolini II Berlin, 1884, p
- ^ Hraban Maur in Monumenta Germaniae Historica Poetaes Latini Aevi CarolingiII, poem 14
Eigil of Fulda Information about
Eigil of Fulda
Eigil of Fulda
Eigil of Fulda viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.