Effingham, New Hampshire
Effingham is a town in Carroll County, New Hampshire, United States At the 2010 census, the town population was 1,4651 Effingham includes the villages of Effingham Falls, Effingham Lord's Hill, Center Effingham Drake's Corner, and South Effingham Pine River State Forest is in the south
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 References
- 5 External links
The town was settled by members of the Leavitt family of Hampton, led by Captain John Leavitt, a soldier whose father, Moses, was a prosperous Hampton tavern keeper From them the settlement first took the name Leavitt's Town2 In 1749, the land was granted by Governor Benning Wentworth, and he renamed it Effingham for the Howard family, who were Earls of Effingham and who were related to the Wentworths by marriage The town was incorporated in 1778 North Effingham would be set off in 1831 and incorporated as Freedom By 1859, when the population was 1,252, Effingham Falls had developed into a small mill town, with a woolen factory, five sawmills, three gristmills, and a carriage factory3
Effingham was home to the first normal school in New Hampshire, established in 1830 on the second floor of the Effingham Union Academy Building, erected in 1819 James W Bradbury, later a Maine senator, took charge of the school only on condition that it should be for the "instruction and training of teachers" The idea was his own and, at that time, entirely novelcitation needed
Normal School in 1910
Post Office in 1908
Lord Mansion in 1908
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 396 square miles 103 km2, of which 384 square miles 99 km2 is land and 12 square miles 31 km2 is water, comprising 298% of the town4 Green Mountain, elevation 1,884 feet 574 m above sea level, is the highest point in town Effingham is drained by the Ossipee River and the Ossipee's tributaries, the Pine and South rivers Province Lake lies partially within the town's borders to the south, and small portions of Ossipee Lake Broad Bay and Berry Bay are contained to the north The community is bounded on the east by the Maine state line, and on the north by the Ossipee River Effingham lies fully within the Saco River watershed5 Effingham lies partially in the Ossipee River watershed, home to the largest stratified-drift aquifer east of the Mississippi Rivercitation needed Much of Effingham's land serves as aquifer recharge areas
The town is served by state routes 25 and 153
|US Decennial Census7|
As of the census8 of 2000, there were 1,273 people, 490 households, and 336 families residing in the town The population density was 330 people per square mile 127/km² There were 791 housing units at an average density of 205 per square mile 79/km² The racial makeup of the town was 9835% White, 039% African American, 031% Native American, 024% Asian, 008% from other races, and 063% from two or more races Hispanic or Latino of any race were 039% of the population
There were 490 households out of which 290% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 535% were married couples living together, 106% had a female householder with no husband present, and 314% were non-families 233% of all households were made up of individuals and 76% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older The average household size was 243 and the average family size was 288
In the town, the population was spread out with 260% under the age of 18, 66% from 18 to 24, 292% from 25 to 44, 256% from 45 to 64, and 126% who were 65 years of age or older The median age was 38 years For every 100 females there were 1067 males For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 1061 males
The median income for a household in the town was $36,000, and the median income for a family was $38,000 Males had a median income of $29,650 versus $22,188 for females The per capita income for the town was $17,089 About 81% of families and 153% of the population were below the poverty line, including 134% of those under age 18 and 63% of those age 65 or over
- ^ United States Census Bureau, American FactFinder, 2010 Census figures Retrieved March 23, 2011
- ^ Hunt, Elmer Munson 1970 New Hampshire Town Names And Whence They Came, p 52 Peterborough, New Hampshire: Noone House ISBN 0-87233-009-5
- ^ Coolidge, Austin J; John B Mansfield 1859 A History and Description of New England Boston, Massachusetts pp 483–484
- ^ "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data G001 - Effingham town, New Hampshire" US Census Bureau American Factfinder Archived from the original on September 11, 2013 Retrieved November 7, 2011
- ^ Foster, Debra H; Batorfalvy, Tatianna N; Medalie, Laura 1995 Water Use in New Hampshire: An Activities Guide for Teachers US Department of the Interior and US Geological Survey
- ^ "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015" Retrieved July 2, 2016
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing" Censusgov Archived from the original on May 12, 2015 Retrieved June 4, 2016
- ^ "American FactFinder" United States Census Bureau Archived from the original on 2013-09-11 Retrieved 2008-01-31
- Town of Effingham official website
- Effingham Public Library
- John Livingston Wright, "The Old Squire Lord House;" The Granite Monthly, Vol 28, 1900
- New Hampshire Economic and Labor Market Information Bureau Profile
- Green Mountain Conservation Group, six-town watershed organization located in Effingham
|Adjacent places of Effingham, New Hampshire|
|County seat: Ossipee|
Effingham, New Hampshire Information about
Effingham, New Hampshire
Effingham, New Hampshire
Effingham, New Hampshire Information Video
Effingham, New Hampshire viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.