Douglas L. Colemandouglas l coleman
Douglas L Coleman 6 October 1931 – 16 April 2014 was a scientist and professor at The Jackson Laboratory, in Bar Harbor, Maine His work predicted that the ob gene encoded the hormone leptin, later co-discovered in 1994 by Jeffrey Friedman, Rudolph Leibel and their research teams at Rockefeller University This work has had a major role in our understanding of the mechanisms regulating body weight and that cause of human obesity
Coleman was born in Stratford, Ontario He obtained his BS degree from McMaster University in 1954 and his PhD in Biochemistry from the University of Wisconsin in 1958 He was elected a member of the US National Academy of Sciences in 1998 He won the Shaw Prize in 2009, the Albert Lasker Award for Basic Medical Research in 2010, the 2012 BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award in the Biomedicine category and the 2013 King Faisal International Prize for Medicine jointly with Jeffrey M Friedman for the discovery of leptin
- ^ Coleman, DL 1978 "Obese and Diabetes: two mutant genes causing diabetes-obesity syndromes in mice" Diabetologia 14: 141–148 doi:101007/bf00429772
- ^ Green ED, Maffei M, Braden VV, Proenca R, DeSilva U, Zhang Y, Chua SC Jr, Leibel RL, Weissenbach J, Friedman JM August 1995 "The human obese OB gene: RNA expression pattern and mapping on the physical, cytogenetic, and genetic maps of chromosome 7" Genome Research 5 1: 5–12 doi:101101/gr515 PMID 8717050
- ^ Shell E January 1, 2002 "Chapter 4: On the Cutting Edge" The Hungry Gene: The Inside Story of the Obesity Industry Atlantic Monthly Press ISBN 978-1-4223-5243-4
- ^ Shell E January 1, 2002 "Chapter 5: Hunger" The Hungry Gene: The Inside Story of the Obesity Industry Atlantic Monthly Press ISBN 978-1-4223-5243-4
- ^ Zhang Y, Proenca R, Maffei M, Barone M, Leopold L, Friedman JM December 1994 "Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue" Nature 372 6505: 425–432 doi:101038/372425a0 PMID 7984236
- ^ Rosenbaum M 1998 "Leptin" The Scientist Magazine
- ^ Okie S February 11, 2005 "Chapter 2: Obese Twins and Thrifty Genes" Fed Up!: Winning the War Against Childhood Obesity Joseph Henry Press, an imprint of the National Academies Press ISBN 978-0-309-09310-1
- ^ Zhang, Y; Proenca, P; Maffei, M; Barone, M; Leopold, L; Friedman, JM 1994 "Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue" Nature 372 6505: 425–432 doi:101038/372425a0 PMID 7984236
- ^ a b Friedman, Jeffrey 2014 "Douglas Coleman 1931–2014 Biochemist who revealed biology behind obesity" Nature 509 7502: 564 doi:101038/509564a PMID 24870535
- ^ Shaw Prize 2009
- ^ King Faisal Prize 2013 for Medicine
douglas l coleman
Douglas L. Coleman Information about
Douglas L. Coleman
Douglas L. Coleman
Douglas L. Coleman viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.