Dean Burkdean burk, dean burk fluoride
University of California, Berkeley University of California, Davis
Dean Burk March 21, 1904 – October 6, 1988 was an American biochemist, medical researcher, and a cancer researcher at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute and the National Cancer Institute In 1934, he developed the Lineweaver–Burk plot together with Hans Lineweaver
Dean was the second of four sons born to Frederic Burk, the founder of the San Francisco Normal School, a preparatory school for teachers which eventually became San Francisco State University He entered the University of California at Davis at the age of 15 A year later, he transferred to the University of California at Berkeley, where he received his BS in Entomology in 1923 Four years later he earned a PhD in biochemistry
- 1 Professional career
- 2 Retirement
- 3 Recognition
- 4 References
Burk joined the Department of Agriculture in 1929 working in the Fixed Nitrogen Research Laboratory In 1939, he joined the Cancer Institute as a senior chemist He was head of the cytochemistry laboratory when he retired in 1974 He also taught biochemistry at the Cornell University medical school from 1939 to 1941 He was a research master at George Washington University Burk was a close friend and co-author with Otto Heinrich Warburg He was a co-developer of the prototype of the Magnetic Resonance Scanner and a co-discoverer of biotin Burk published more than 250 scientific articles in his lifetime He later became head of the National Cancer Institute's Cytochemistry Sector in 1938, although he is often mistaken as leading the entire facility
After retiring from the NCI in 1974, Dean Burk remained active He devoted himself to his opposition to water fluoridation According to Burk "fluoridation is a form of public mass murder" Dean Burk argued on Dutch television against a water fluoridation proposal which was before the Dutch Parliament in the Netherlands He also was an avid supporter of laetrile; a cancer treatment now regarded by the medical establishment as ineffective and potentially dangerous
For his work on photosynthesis, Dean Burk received the Hillebrand Prize in 1952 Dean Burk and Otto Heinrich Warburg discovered the photosynthesis I-quantum reaction that splits CO2 activated by respiration For his techniques to distinguish between normal cells and those damaged by cancer, Dean Burk was awarded the Gerhard Domagk Prize in 1965
- ^ a b c Associated Press 1988 Dean Burk, 84, Chemist for Cancer Institute New York Times
- ^ Lineweaver, H; Burk, D 1934 "The Determination of Enzyme Dissociation Constants" Journal of the American Chemical Society 56 3: 658–666 doi:101021/ja01318a036
- ^ Weiterentwicklung der zellphysiologischen Methoden: angewandt auf Krebs, Photosynthese und Wirkungsweise der Röntgenstrahlung: Arbeiten aus den Jahren 1945–1961, Thieme, Stuttgart 1962 Trans: Further Developments of Methods in Cellular Physiology applied to Cancer, Photosynthesis and the Effects of X-ray Radiation Texts in German and English
- ^ I Weisman, L Bennett, L Maxwell Sr, M Woods, and D Burk 1972"Recognition of Cancer in vivo by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance", Science 178, 1288 – 1290
- ^ Burk D, Schade AL On respiratory impairment in cancer cells Science 1956 Aug 10;1243215:270-2
- ^ J Yiamouyiannis, D Burk "Fluoridation and cancer, age-dependence of cancer mortality related to artificial fluoridation" Fluoride 1977
- ^ Consummer Health Articles: FLUORIDATION
- ^ a b 619 F 2d 932 – Yiamouyiannis v Consumers Union of United States Inc
- ^ Burk, D 1970 Laetrile and Cancer Science News
- ^ Otto Warburg - Biography - Nobelprizeorg
- ^ "Dean Burk, 84, Chemist for Cancer Institute" The New York Times October 10, 1988
dean burk, dean burk cancer, dean burk cubs player, dean burk fluoride, dean burke east texas state university, dean burkett magician, dean burkhardt, dean burkholder, dean burkin, dean burkin phd
Dean Burk Information about
Dean Burk viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.