Danube Delta horsedanube delta horse, danube delta horses
The Danube Delta horses are a population of feral horses in Romania They live in and around Letea Forest in the Danube Delta, between the Sulina and Chilia branches of the Danube About 4000 feral horses live in the Danube Delta, 2000 of them in the Letea nature reserve, where on one hand, they are among the last remaining "wild" feral horses living at large on the European continent, but are also deemed to be a threat to the flora of the forest, including some plants on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species
Although there have been feral horses in the region for hundreds of years, their numbers greatly increased after the collective farms were closed down in 1990 and the horses belonging to them were freed The Letea population is not regulated and there are concerns that overgrazing is a looming problem
The horses on Letea Island are black or bay, without white spots They stand between 145 and 150 m 141 and 143 hands and are strongly built They are different from the smaller horses of Sfântu Gheorghe, which is nearby They are not of a riding horse build, but are built like the working horses of Hungary
In 2002, some of these horses were captured and transported to Italy for slaughter Some organizations objected to removal, holding that the horses had value in being adapted to the location and possessing natural social behavior Another push for removal and slaughter began in 2009, but horses cannot be currently removed from the area because a number of animals carry equine infectious anemia Therefore, according to Romanian regulation, they are not allowed to be taken out of the quarantine area Currently, there is an ongoing project, in collaboration with the World Wide Fund for Nature, seeking to find a way to remove these horses While some organizations object to total removal and advocate for some animals to remain, others are attempting to find a different preserve for the horses to live
- ^ Mirel Bran July 27, 2010 Romanians split over environmental impact of Danube delta's wild horses The Guardian Accessed October 2015
- ^ a b Project Proposed: Biodiversity Preservation in the Danube Delta - Letea Natural Reserve by saving the last wild horses in Europe and some protected vegetable species as well as developing methods to generate alternative incomes for inhabitants in the area Arca lui Noe Accessed October 2015
- ^ a b c d "Mustangul de România" in Romanian, Gândul, February 25, 2009
- ^ a b Dezastru ecologic: În Delta Dunării caii sălbatici distrug Letea in Romanian, Jurnalul Naţional, January 15, 2009
- ^ "Caii sălbăticiţi distrug puieţii din Pădurea Letea" Archived 2009-03-17 at the Wayback Machine in Romanian, Adevărul, October 12, 2007
- ^ a b c d "Natural and cultural grazing in the Danube Delta" Consultancy Herds and Homelands
- Wild Horses in Danube Delta - Photos
- Saving Wild Horses of Danube Delta - Video
- Wild Horses in Danube Delta - Video
|Equine science and|
|Evolution and history||
|Horse breeds, types|
and other Equidae
danube delta horse, danube delta horses
Danube Delta horse Information about
Danube Delta horse
Danube Delta horse
Danube Delta horse viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.