Cowley Barracksjohnson barracks furth germany 16th engineers, butler barracks pa state police
Cowley Barracks originally Bullingdon Barracks was a military installation in Cowley, Oxfordshire, England
HistoryeditHeadstone in St James' parish churchyard, Cowley, Oxfordshire of George and Sarah Stone George had been Depot Sergeant Major in the Oxfordshire Light Infantry, presumably at Cowley Barracks An eroded trace of the number "52" is visible in the regimental badge carved at the top of the stone
The barracks were built in a Fortress Gothic Revival style at Bullingdon Green using Charlbury stone1 and completed in spring 18762 Their creation took place as part of the Cardwell Reforms which encouraged the localisation of British military forces3 The barracks became the depot for the 52nd Oxfordshire Regiment of Foot and the 85th Regiment of Foot Bucks Volunteers4 Following the Childers Reforms, the 43rd Monmouthshire Regiment of Foot Light Infantry and the 52nd Oxfordshire Regiment of Foot amalgamated to form the Oxfordshire Light Infantry with its depot at the barracks in 18814
Following the Haldane Reforms the Oxfordshire Light Infantry became the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry in 1908 Many recruits enlisted at the barracks during the early stages of the First World War5
The original proposal for the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry War Memorial was to site it outside the barracks No suitable site could be found there so instead it was built on Rose Hill at the junction with Church Cowley Road6
The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry Museum was established at the barracks in 19257 and during the Second World War the barracks were used as a base for the Home Guard8
The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry left the barracks in 1959 and, although the men's quarters were retained, the keep was subsequently demolished2 The museum collection moved from Cowley Barracks to the Slade Park Territorial Army base at that time9
Between 1980 and 1992 the national headquarters of the United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring Organisation was located on the site Co-located with this organisation was the Headquarters of No 3 Oxford Group Royal Observer Corps The site now belongs to Oxford Brookes University, which has built student accommodation on the site10
- ^ Lobel, Mary D, ed 1957 "Cowley" A History of the County of Oxford Victoria County History V: Bullingdon Hundred London: Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research pp 76–96 Retrieved 8 November 2014
- ^ a b "Cowley Barracks" Headington at War Retrieved 7 November 2014
- ^ "Echoes of the past in these Army cuts" The Daily Telegraph 8 July 2012 Retrieved 13 November 2014
- ^ a b "Training Depots" Regimentsorg Archived from the original on 10 February 2006 Retrieved 16 October 2016 CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown link
- ^ "Ben Reeve" Life stories and memories Retrieved 8 November 2014
- ^ Historic England "Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry War Memorial Grade II 1369419" National Heritage List for England Retrieved 20 August 2016
- ^ "About the history of the museum" The Royal Green Jackets Museum Retrieved 7 November 2014
- ^ "All quiet on the home front" Telegraph & Argus Newsquest 9 June 2014 Retrieved 8 November 2014
- ^ "New museum honours county's Army history" Witney Gazette Newsquest 13 June 2014 Retrieved 8 November 2014
- ^ "Oxford: ROC Group HQ No 3" Subterranea Britannica Retrieved 8 November 2014
butler barracks, butler barracks niagara on the lake, butler barracks pa state police, johnson barracks, johnson barracks car decals, johnson barracks fuerth germany, johnson barracks furth germany 16th engineers, johnson barracks nuremberg germany, johnson barracks reunion, johnson barracks vietnam war
Cowley Barracks Information about
Cowley Barracks viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.