Charles Julius Hempelcharles hempel
Charles Julius Hempel 5 September 1811 in Solingen, Prussia – 25 September 1879 in Grand Rapids, Michigan was a German-born translator and homeopathic physician who worked in the United States
- 1 Biography
- 2 Works
- 3 Notes
- 4 References
After completing his collegiate course at Solingen, he attended lectures at the Université de France and Collège de France, in Paris, and financed his schooling by translating At the Université de France, he assisted Jules Michelet, who succeeded François Guizot as professor of history, in the publication of his Histoire de la France "History of France"
He came to the United States in 1835, and for ten years resided in the family of Piero Maroncelli, the intimate friend of the revolutionist Silvio Pellico There he imbibed an ardent love for music and Italian literature and got to know the Carbonari refugees in America Other significant influences were the social theorist Albert Brisbane and the theologian George Bush
While attending medical lectures at the University of New York, where he graduated in 1845, he became associated with several eminent homeopathic practitioners, and soon after his graduation he began to translate some of the more important works relating to homeopathy In 1855 he married Mary Coggeshall Calder, daughter of George Coggeshall of Grand Rapids, Michigan
He was appointed professor of materia medica and therapeutics in the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1857 He had an approach to homeopathy distinct from the Hahnemann school His translations could be a source of controversy in the homeopathic community; in particular Constantine Hering and Adolph Lippe raised objections because of errors in Hempel's early translations and unauthorized additions from his own experience
When the Hahnemann Medical College was reorganized in 1860, Hempel and some others left During his stay in Philadelphia, he also published his book, Materia Medica and Therapeutics On the death of his father-in-law in 1861, he went to Grand Rapids to settle up the estate He decided to make the change of location permanent and soon had a large homeopathic practice in that city
His health failing, he traveled to Italy and Germany in 1872, but the change was not beneficial, and he returned to Grand Rapids, where he died Hempel was one of the earliest honorary members of the British Homeopathic Society, and was the recipient of diplomas and certificates of membership from many medical colleges and associations His translations and original works permit him to be called the father of English homeopathic literature
- Life of Christ 1848 in German
- The True Organization of the New Church
- New Grammar of the German Language
- Christendom and Civilization 1840
- A New and Comprehensive System of Materia Medica and Therapeutics, his chief work 1859
- Homœopathic Theory and Practice in Surgical Disease, with J Beakly 1865
- The Science of Homœopathy 1874
He published numerous translations, including:
- Samuel Hahnemann, Chronic Diseases 5 vols, Philadelphia, 1846
- Franz Hartmann, Acute and Chronic Diseases 4 vols, 1849
- George Heinrich Gottlieb Jahr, Mental Diseases and their Homœopathic Treatment 1853
- George Heinrich Gottlieb Jahr, Diseases of Women and Children 1853
- Schiller's Complete Works, editor 2 vols, 1861
- ^ a b c Christopher D Ellithorp 1999 "Hempel, Charles Julius" American National Biography New York: Oxford University Press
- ^ a b Clarence Bartlett 1932 "Hempel, Charles Julius" Dictionary of American Biography New York: Charles Scribner's Sons
- ^ a b c d Thomas Lindsley Bradford 1898 History of the Homoeopathic medical college of Pennsylvania pp 337–8
- Wilson, James Grant; Fiske, John, eds 1892 "Hempel, Charles Julius" Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography New York: D Appleton
- Gilman, D C; Peck, H T; Colby, F M, eds 1905 "Hempel, Charles Julius" New International Encyclopedia 1st ed New York: Dodd, Mead
Charles Julius Hempel Information about
Charles Julius Hempel
Charles Julius Hempel
Charles Julius Hempel viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.