The abbreviation cf short for the Latin: confer, meaning "compare" is used in writing to refer the reader to other material to make a comparison with the topic being discussed It is used to form a contrast, for example: "Abbott 2010 found supportive results in her memory experiment, unlike those of previous work cf Zeller & Williams, 2007" Many usage guides recommend against using "cf" in place of "see also" to indicate sources of additional examples or supporting evidence
Use in scientific nomenclature
In biological naming conventions, cf is commonly placed between the genus name name and the species name to describe a specimen that is difficult to identify because of practical difficulties, such as the specimen being poorly preserved For example, "Barbus cf holotaenia" implies that the specimen is believed to be Barbus holotaenia but the actual identification cannot be certain
Cf can also be used to express a possible identity, or at least a significant resemblance, such as between a newly observed specimen and a known species or taxon Such a usage might suggest a specimen's membership of the same genus or possibly of a shared higher taxon, such as in, "Diptera: Tabanidae, cf Tabanus", where the author is confident of the order and family Diptera: Tabanidae, but can only offer the genus Tabanus as a suggestion and has no information favouring a particular species
|Look up cf in Wiktionary, the free dictionary|
- Citation signal
- List of Latin abbreviations
- ^ "cf", Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus, Cambridge University Press, nd, retrieved October 30, 2016
- ^ Lee, Chelsea May 13, 2010, "It's All Latin to Me: Latin Abbreviations in Scholarly Writing", APA Style Blog, American Psychological Association, retrieved October 30, 2016
- ^ "Latin Terms and Abbreviations", The Writing Center at UNC-Chapel Hill, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, nd, retrieved October 30, 2016
- ^ "Chicago Manual of Style 15th Ed Style Sheet" PDF Michigan State University Press p 6, citing Chicago Manual of Style section 1658 Retrieved 2016-07-07 There is a distinction between see and cf; use cf only to mean 'compare' or 'see, by way of comparison'
- ^ a b Bengtson, Peter "Open Nomenclature" PDF Palaeontology Retrieved 19 March 2015
- ^ Hartmann, Anne February 2007, Field Key for Selected Benthic Invertebrates from the HKH Region PDF, Daft Version, retrieved October 30, 2016
cf. meaning, cf.edu, cf.gameclub, cf.ph.gameclub.com, cf.ph.gameclub.com register, cf.pharaoh, cf.vtc.com, cf.vtcgame.vn, www.cf.com, www.cf.edu
Cf. Information about
Cf. viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.