Canada Firstcanada first-class postage stamp, canada first nation tribes
The Canada First movement was a Canadian nationalist movement organized in 1868 that promoted the British Protestant component as central to Canadian identity It was at first supported by Goldwin Smith and Edward Blake Ontario residents, George Denison, Charles Mair, William Alexander Foster and Robert Grant Haliburton founded the movement
John Christian Schultz, Canadian Party founder, became a leading member of the Canadian Party and was a chief opponent of Louis Riel The execution of Thomas Scott during the 1870 Red River Rebellion was a major catalyst in the formation of the Canada First movement Caught in the middle of the rebellion, Schultz and Mair narrowly escaped execution themselves Upon their return to Ontario the two men were featured prominently in a massive Toronto protest organized by the Canada Firsters Tapping into Orange Protestant outrage over the killing of Scott the movement's leaders stressed the theme of national betrayal at the hands of the Red River rebels and Louis Riel
On the occasion of an 1874 by-election in the Federal district of West Toronto the Canada First movement became an official political party known as the Canadian National Association Although the party failed to nominate a candidate, they released a party-platform that called for the "British Connection, Consolidation of the Empire and in the meantime a voice in treaties affecting Canada" Wanting a greater voice and autonomy for Canada in conducting its own foreign policy the movement heralded the Imperial Federation movement
Although the party counted among its early supporters former Ontario Premier and prominent Liberal Edward Blake, Blake's decision to accept a position in Alexander Mackenzie's government in 1875 led to the party's quick collapse By 1876 their weekly newspaper organ The Nation, edited by Charles Lindsey, had closed
- ^ Vigod, BL 2010, Canada First, The Canadian Encyclopedia, archived from the original on 2011-07-20, retrieved 2010-04-21
- ^ Siamandas, George, John Christian Shultz One of Manitoba's Colourful Businessmen Becomes Lieut Gov, retrieved 2010-04-21
- ^ Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online: Schultz, Sir John Christian, University of Toronto, 2000, retrieved 2010-04-21
- ^ Dimitry Anastakis 2015 Death in the Peaceable Kingdom: Canadian History since 1867 through Murder, Execution, Assassination, and Suicide U of Toronto Press p 27
- ^ Hougham, GM May 1953 "Canada First: A Minor Party in Microcosm" The Canadian Journal of Economic and Political Science 19 2: 175 |access-date= requires |url= help
- ^ Hougham, GM "Canada First": 177
- ^ Vigod, BL "Canada First" The Canadian Encyclopedia Retrieved 29 September 2013
- ^ Taylor, M Brook 1994 "Lindsey, Charles" In Cook, Ramsay Dictionary of Canadian Biography Springer Science & Business Media ISBN 978-0-8020-3998-9
- Farrell, D R "The Canada First movement and Canadian political thought" Journal of Canadian Studies/Revue d'Études Canadiennes 1969 4#4 pp: 16+
- Gagan, David P "The relevance of 'Canada First,'" Journal of Canadian Studies/Revue d'Études Canadiennes 1970 5#4 pp: 36-44 online
- Hougham, G M "Canada First: A Minor Party in Microcosm" Canadian Journal of Economics and Political Science/Revue canadienne de economiques et science politique 19#2 1953: 174-184
- Canada First - Canadian Political Parties and Political Interest Groups - Web Archive created by the University of Toronto Libraries
canada first day covers, canada first lady sophie, canada first lady trudeau, canada first minister, canada first nation flag, canada first nation tribes, canada first nations land, canada first nations plains people religion, canada first nations truth and reconciliation, canada first-class postage stamp
Canada First Information about
Canada First viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.