Buea Bakweri: Gbea is the capital of the Southwest Region of Cameroon The town is located on the eastern slopes of Mount Cameroon and has a population of 300,000 at the 2013 Census It has two Government Hotels, the Mountain Hotel and Palamenterian Flats Hotel located around The Government Residential Area The self-declared state of Ambazonia claims the city as its capital
- 1 History
- 11 Ambazonian secession
- 2 Geography
- 21 Climate
- 3 Notable institutions
- 4 Transport
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
HistoryThe Residence of von Puttkamer in Buea
Buea, originally spelled "Gbea", was founded by a hunter who came from the Bomboko area Coming from the Bomboko side of the mountain, he named the new-found land in amazement as "Ebe'eya", meaning literally a "place of happenings" A prominent King of the Bakweri whose headquarters is Buea was chief Kuva Likenye, whose clashes with German troops during the Bakweri resistance remain popular folklore; currently ruled by the Endeleys Tea growing is an important local industry, especially in Tole Buea was the colonial capital of German Kamerun from 1901 to 1919, the capital of the Southern Cameroons from 1949 until 1961 and the capital of West Cameroon until 1972, when Ahmadou Ahidjo abolished the Federation of Cameroon The German colonial administration in Buea was temporarily suspended during the eruption of Mount Cameroon from 28 April until June 1909 Originally, Buea's population consisted mainly of the Bakweri people However, owing to its status as a university town and the regional capital, there are significant numbers of other ethnic groups
In September 2017, the Federal Republic of Ambazonia declared its independence from Cameroon, with Buea as its claimed capital In late-June 2018, the Ambazonia Defence Forces began approaching Buea, and on June 29 they invaded the Mile 16 neighborhood On July 1, separatists invaded the Muea neighborhood and battled Cameroonian troops
About 300,000 people live in Buea including the villages of Bokwaongo, Muea; Bomaka; Tole; Mile 16 Bolifamba; Mile 17; Mile 15; Mile 14 Dibanda; Bova; Bonjongo; Likombe; Buasa; Great Soppo; Molyko; Small Soppo; Bwitingi; Mile 18 Wonyamavio; Lower farms; Bokwai; Bonduma; Sandpit, Wonyamongo, Bulu; Bokova and surrounding villages
ClimateTourists climbing Mount Cameroon in Buea
Buea has a subtropical highland climate Because of its location at the foot of Mount Cameroon, the climate in Buea tends to be humid, with the neighbourhoods at higher elevations enjoying cooler temperatures while the lower neighbourhoods experience a hotter climate Extended periods of rainfall, characterized by incessant drizzle, which can last for weeks, are common during the rainy season as are damp fogs, rolling off the mountain into the town below
Buea hosts the University of Buea, Cameroon's first anglophone university It is the site of several other higher institutes of learning, including St Francis Schools of Nursing and Midwifery presently known as Biaka University Institute of Buea BUIB and one of Cameroon's three Catholic universities
A handful of colonial era buildings are surviving, notably the palatial former residence of the German governor Jesko von Puttkamer Other German colonial buildings are still standing, but some of them suffer from lack of maintenance and old age
The Nigerian Consulate in anglophone Cameroon and the main operational hub of the Naigahelp medical aid organisation are in Buea
Buea hosts an annex of the National Archives of Cameroon, whose main location is Yaoundé Next door to the annex is the Cameroon Press Photo Archive, which has been permanently closed since 2001
Limbe was served by a 600 mm 1 ft 11 5⁄8 in gauge plantation railway to Limbe, of the West African Planting Society Victoria
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Buéa
- ^ a b Helders, Stefan "Buéa" World Gazetteer Archived from the original on 2008-06-13 Retrieved 2008-03-27mw-parser-output citecitationmw-parser-output citation qmw-parser-output id-lock-free a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-free amw-parser-output id-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output id-lock-registration a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-registration amw-parser-output id-lock-subscription a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-subscription amw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registrationmw-parser-output cs1-subscription span,mw-parser-output cs1-registration spanmw-parser-output cs1-ws-icon amw-parser-output codecs1-codemw-parser-output cs1-hidden-errormw-parser-output cs1-visible-errormw-parser-output cs1-maintmw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registration,mw-parser-output cs1-formatmw-parser-output cs1-kern-left,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-leftmw-parser-output cs1-kern-right,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-rightmw-parser-output citation mw-selflink
- ^ ADC Lands Ground Troops in Southern Cameroons, Declares War on LRC[permanent dead link], Cameroon Journal, Sept 10, 2017 Accessed Apr 19, 2018
- ^ Panic grips Buea as soldiers battle separatists, Journal du Cameroun, Jun 29, 2018 Accessed Jun 29, 2018
- ^ Muea in lockdown as soldiers battle separatists, Journal du Cameroun, Jul 1, 2018 Accessed Jul 2, 2018
- ^ Nsah, Solomon Kekeisen June 2017 "The Cameroon Press Photo Archive CPPA Buea in Crisis 1955-2016" Vestiges: Traces of Record 3 1: 65–81 ISSN 2058-1963 Archived from the original on 2017-08-31 Retrieved 2017-08-31
- ^ http://wwwgouverneur-ebermaierde/english/narrow_gauge_railwayshtm[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buea|
- Mount Cameroon Inter-communal Ecotourism Board - formerly known as Mount Cameroon Ecotourism Organisation, abbreviated as Mount CEO
beautiful, beauty and the beast, beautycounter, buea, buea news, buea university, bueat, buena vista co, bureau, www.buealibrary.net
Buea Information about
Buea viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.