Brian Campbell Vickery
Brian Campbell Vickery New South Wales, Australia, 11 September 1918 – 17 October 2009 was a British information scientist and classification researcher, and Professor and director at the School of Library, Archive and Information Studies at University College London from 1973 to 1983
- 1 Biography
- 2 Works
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Vickery was born in New South Wales in Australia, where his father Adam McCay was working as journalist, and his uncle James Whiteside McCay was Australian general and later politician Vickery went to schools in Australia, Cairo in Egypt, and Canterbury in England He received his MA in Chemistry from Oxford University in 1941 He started his career as plant chemist in the explosives factory of the Royal Ordnance in Bridgwater, Somerset in 1941 In 1945 he got married to Manuletta McMenamin
After the war he was Assistant Editor of the Industrial Chemist review in London, England for one year In 1946 he started his career as librarian at the Akers Research Laboratories of the Imperial Chemical Industries in Welwyn, Hertfordshire, England, where he worked until 1960 Here he started writing about library science, which resulted in a series of books In 1960 he became Principal Scientific Officer at the UK National Lending Library for Science and Technology in Boston Spa in Yorkshire, and from 1964 to 1966 he was Librarian at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology in Manchester In 1967 he married Alina Vickery From 1966 to 1973 he was Research Director at Aslib in London, and finally from 1973 to 1983 he was Professor and Director, School of Library, Archive and Information Studies, University College London After 1983 as Professor Emeritus of the University of London he remained active as part-time consultant and kept writing
Vickery wrote a series of books about library science and related subjects A selection:
- 1953 Recent Trends in Special Libraries, 1953
- 1958 Classification and Indexing in Science, eds 1958, 1959, 1975
- 1960 Faceted Classification, 1960
- 1960 The National Lending Library for Science and Technology, 1960
- 1961 On Retrieval System Theory, eds 1961, 1965
- 1966 Faceted Classification Schemes, 1966
- 1970 Techniques of Information Retrieval, 1970
- 1971 Computer Support for Parliamentary Information Service with HEast, 1971
- 1973 Information Systems, 1973
- 1978 The Use of Online Search in Teaching, 1978
- 1982 Information System Dynamics with RGHeseltine, 1982
- 1987 Information Science in Theory and Practice with AVickery, eds 1987, 1992, 2004
- 1991 Intelligent Intermediary System: reference functional model, 1991
- 1993 Online Search Interface Design with AVickery, 1993
- 2000 Scientific Communication in History, 2000
- 2004 A Long Search for Information, 2004
- Classification Research Group
- ^ Cronin, Blaise 2010 In Memoriam Brian Vickery: An Appreciation Journal of the American Society for information Science and Technology, 614, 850–851
- ^ Brian Vickery 2008""Adam Cairns McCay 1874-1947"" Archived from the original on 2008-05-31 Retrieved 2013-04-25
- ^ BC Vickery 2004 A Long Search for Information Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign p1
- ^ Brian Vickery 2005""Coming of age in the 1930s"" Archived from the original on 2008-05-31 Retrieved 2013-04-25
- ^ Brian Vickery 2005""What did you do in the war, daddy"" Archived from the original on 2008-05-31 Retrieved 2013-04-25
- ^ Who's who in Frontier Science and Technology 1984 Vol 1 p 736
- ^ Bibliography of Vickery's publications up to 1987 in: Essays presented to BCVickery, Journal of documentation, vol44, pp199-283, 1988
- ^ Supplement to Bibliography of Vickery's publications In: ,,A long search for information, Occasional Paper 213, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2004
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Brian Campbell Vickery|
- "Web personal" Archived from the original on 2010-01-25 Retrieved 2011-10-24
- Professor Brian Vickery 1918 - 2009 at iskoukblogspot, 2010
- Remembering a Colleague: Brian Vickery, 2010
Brian Campbell Vickery Information about
Brian Campbell Vickery
Brian Campbell Vickery
Brian Campbell Vickery viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.