Bracław Voivodeship
Wed . 18 Aug 2018

Bracław Voivodeship


Coat of arms

The Bracław Voivodeship red in
the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1635 Capital Bratslav History    Established 1566    Third partition 24 October 1795 Area 31,660 km2 12,224 sq mi Political subdivisions counties: 2 3 since 1791 ¹ Voivodeship of the Kingdom of Poland in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Voivodeship of Grand Duchy of Lithuania before 1569

The Bracław Voivodeship Polish: Województwo bracławskie was a unit of administrative division of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth Created in 1566 as part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, it was passed to the Crown of Poland in 1569 following the Union of Lublin After partitions of Poland in 1793 the voivodeship was taken by the Russian Empire and replaced with the Bratslav Viceroyalty

In 1648-57 the territory of voivodeship was a part of Cossack Hetmanate following the Khmelnytsky Uprising and Truce of Andrusovo, while in 1672-99 it became part of Ottoman Ukraine which was a vassal Ottoman Empire see: Treaty of Buchach and Treaty of Karlowitz

Contents

  • 1 Overview
  • 2 Municipal government
  • 3 Administrative division
  • 4 Voivodes
  • 5 Neighbouring Voivodeships and regions
  • 6 Sources

Overview

Together with the Podole Voivodeship it formed the historical province of Podolia and part of a bigger Lesser Poland Province of the Polish Crown

Officially, the capital of the voivodeship was in Braclaw today Bratslav, but local voivodes also resided in Winnica Vinnytsia It was divided into County of Braclaw and County of Winnica The County of Braclaw itself was divided into two districts—Braclaw and Zwinogrodek some sources claim there was a separate County of Zwinogrodek In 1791, the Great Sejm also created Boh County Polish: powiat nadbohski, but it was never created due to the Polish–Russian War of 1792 Braclaw Voivodeship had two senators—the Voivode and the Castellan of Braclaw It also had six deputies to the Sejm—two from Braclaw County, two from Winnica County, and two from District of Zwinogrodek Local sejmiks took place in Winnica Today the region belongs to Ukraine

Zygmunt Gloger in his monumental book Historical Geography of the Lands of Old Poland gives a detailed description of Braclaw Voivodeship:

After the Union of Lublin, the province of Podolia was annexed by the Kingdom of Poland Soon afterwards, Ukrainian Podolia, located lower than Podole Voivodeship, between the Dniestr and the Boh rivers, was turned into Braclaw Voivodeship It had three castles at Braclaw, Winnica and Zwinogrod In 1570, a special royal commission was created to mark the borders of the voivodeship Its western boundary was marked by the Murachwa river, and in the southeast, it was separated from Wallachia by the Dniestr The commission marked northern border of the voivodeship along the Black Tatar Trail, and to settle arguments between Braclaw and Kijow Voivodeships, King Stefan Batory in 1584 stated that boundary line was to be marked by the Uhorski Tykicz river

In the late 16th century, most of Braclaw Voivodeship was a depopulated wild field Political and social life existed only in the agricultural belt, located in the immediate vicinity of royal castles Settlers however began to move into the desert, even along southern border of the province, in the area called Pobereze After the Union of Lublin, when Ukrainian lands were annexed by the Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, life became more organized, with Polish-style starostas, voivodes, nobility, sejmiks, and courts

The County of Winnica was smaller, but more populated It had the area of 200 sq miles, in northwestern corner of the voivodeship, along the Boh river The County of Braclaw had the area of 420 sq miles, and consisted of two districts - Braclaw and Zwinogrod The district of Zwinogrod covered the desert of the Blue Waters see also Battle of Blue Waters, but due to destruction of the Zwinogrod Castle, it did not emerge as a separate county In 1584, Stefan Batory divided this area between Braclaw and Kijow Voivodeship, along the Uhorski Tykicz river

In 1569, first voivode of Braclaw was Prince Roman Sanguszko, while first castellan was Knyaz Jedrzej Kapusta In 1589 Polish Sejm ordered that all official documents in Braclaw Voivodeship should be written in Old East Slavic language The voivodeship had two senators the voivode and the castellan of Braclaw, six deputies to the Sejm, and two deputies to the Lesser Poland Tribunal at Lublin Furthermore, like in neighbouring Podole Voivodeship, Braclaw had its own border judges, who cooperated with officials of the Ottoman Porte and the Crimean Khanate, solving conflicts between citizens of the two countries

In 1598 the Sejm ordered that all courts and sejmiks be moved from Braclaw to Winnica As a result, Winnica became to be regarded the capital of the voivodeship Since in the 18th century the population of the region grew, in 1791 the Sejm created another county, called Boh County, increasing number of deputies from the voivodeship from six to eight After the Partitions of Poland, Russian authorities created Braclaw Governorate 1793 - 1796, whose lands were then divided between Podolia Governorate, Volhynian Governorate, and Kiev Governorate

According to the 1625 census, Braclaw Voivodeship had 285 villages, but its population grew so fast that in the early 1790s, the number of villages grew to 1,500 Before the Union of Lublin, there were some 30 castles, forts and strongholds in the province Fifty years after the union, the number of castles grew significantly Most of them were private, with the strongest one being Uman In the 18th century, the voivodeship had several grand residences of Polish magnates, among them was Zofiowka of the Potocki family, located in close proximity to Uman

Municipal government

Voivodeship Governor Wojewoda seat:

  • Bracław Bratslav

Regional council sejmik generalny for all Ruthenian lands

  • Sądowa Wisznia Sudova Vyshnia

Regional council sejmik poselski i deputacki seats:

  • Winnica Vinnytsia

Administrative division

  • Bracław County Powiat bracławski, Bracław Bratslav
  • Winnica County Powiat winnicki, Winnica Vinnytsia
  • Zwinogrodek District or Zwinogrodek County powiat zwinogrodzki,
  • Boh County powiat nadbohski, created in 1791,

Voivodes

  • Roman Sanguszko 16th century
  • Aleksander Zasławski 1628–
  • Stanisław "Rewera" Potocki 1631–1636
  • Adam Kisiel 1647–
  • Andrzej Potocki 1662–
  • Stanisław Lubomirski 1764–

Neighbouring Voivodeships and regions

  • Podole Voivodeship
  • Kijów Voivodeship
  • Jedysan
  • Moldavia

Sources

  • Braclaw Voivodeship, description by Zygmunt Gloger
  • Central European Superpower, Henryk Litwin, BUM Magazine, October 2016

Coordinates: 48°49′10″N 28°56′41″E / 48819433°N 28944850°E / 48819433; 28944850


Bracław Voivodeship Information about



  • user icon

    Bracław Voivodeship beatiful post thanks!

    29.10.2014


Bracław Voivodeship
Bracław Voivodeship
Bracław Voivodeship viewing the topic.
Bracław Voivodeship what, Bracław Voivodeship who, Bracław Voivodeship explanation

There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video

Random Posts

Ralph Neville, 2nd Earl of Westmorland

Ralph Neville, 2nd Earl of Westmorland

Ralph Neville, 2nd Earl of Westmorland 4 April 1406 – 3 November 1484 was an English peer Content...
Mamprusi language

Mamprusi language

The Mamprusi language, Mampruli Mampelle, Ŋmampulli, is a Gur language spoken in northern Ghana by t...
Singapore Changi Airport

Singapore Changi Airport

Singapore Changi Airport IATA: SIN, ICAO: WSSS, or simply Changi Airport, is the primary civili...
Christian Siriano

Christian Siriano

Christian Siriano born November 18, 1985 is an American fashion designer and member of the Council o...