Bertram Richard Brooker March 31, 1888 – March 22, 1955 was a Canadian writer, painter, musician, and advertising agency executive
Born in Croydon, England, to Richard Brooker and Mary Ann Skinner Brooker, he moved to Portage la Prairie, Manitoba in 1905 with his family In 1913 he rented a movie theatre in Neepawa, Manitoba That same year he married Mary Aurilla “Rill” Porter In 1914 he became editor of the Portage Review, a local newspaper In 1915 he enlisted in the Royal Canadian Engineers in Winnipeg After the war he worked for The Winnipeg Tribune, The Regina Leader-Post and The Winnipeg Free Press
He moved to Toronto, Ontario in 1921 and joined the staff of Marketing magazine Brooker served as the magazine's editor and publisher from 1924 until 1926 In 1923, he published his first book, Subconscious Selling In 1929 he joined the staff of the JJ Gibbons Advertising Agency
In 1931 Brooker was embroiled in a controversy about nudity in art when a painting of his was removed from a gallery exhibition because it contained nudity Brooker later wrote the essay "Nudes and Prudes" in 1931 as a rebuke
In 1936, Brooker's novel Think of the Earth 1936 became the first work to win the Governor General's Award for Fiction In 1940 he joined the staff of the MacLaren Advertising Co
Brooker is often regarded as the first Canadian abstract impressionist, although Kathleen Munn exhibited abstract paintings before Brooker exhibited his He was strongly influenced in his development as an artist by LeMoine Fitzgerald
- 1 Selected bibliography
- 2 Notes
- 3 References
- 4 External links
- Subconscious Selling 1923
- Layout Technique in Advertising 1929, writing as Richard W Surrey
- Copy Technique in Advertising 1930, writing as Richard W Surrey
- Elijah 1930, drawings
- Think of the Earth 1936
- The Tangled Miracle 1936, writing as Huxley Hearne
- The Robber 1949
- Sounds Assembling: The Poetry of Bertram Brooker 1980
- ^ Biography of Bertram Brooker, retrieved on May 25th 2007
- ^ Nudes and Prudes by Bertram Brooker, retrieved on May 25th 2007
- ^ Roald Nasgaard,Abstract Painting in Canada, Douglas & McIntyre, Vancouver and Art Gallery of Novia Scoria, Halifax, 2007, pp 19-21
- ^ Clara Thomas, Canadian Novelists 1920-1945, Longmans, Green and Comoany, Toronto, 1946 p 16
- Reid, Dennis Bertram Brooker, 1888-1955 Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 1973
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
- Works by Bertram Brooker at Faded Page Canada
- Bertram Brooker entry in The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Bertram Brooker entry at university of manitoba archives
Bertram Brooker Information about
Bertram Brooker viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.