Augustus Seymour Porter
Augustus Seymour Porter January 18, 1798 – September 18, 1872 was a US statesman from the state of Michigan
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 31 Descendants
- 4 References
- 5 External links
He was born in Canandaigua, New York, the son of Augustus Porter 1769–1849 and his first wife, Lavinia Steele1 His brothers were Albert Howell Porter 1801-1888 and Peter Buell Porter, Jr 1806–1871, and his uncle was Peter Buell Porter 1773–1844, the United States Secretary of War under John Quincy Adams
He attended Canandaigua Academy,2 and graduated from Union College, in Schenectady, New York, in 1818, studied law and was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Detroit, Michigan3
Porter became the recorder of Detroit in 1830 and was the treasurer of the Michigan Pioneer Society in 18372 He was elected mayor of Detroit in 1838,2 resigning in 1839 to run for the United States Senate, and was succeeded as mayor by Asher B Bates on March 14, 18392
He was elected as a Whig to the United States Senate, and served from January 20, 1840 until March 4, 18454 He did not run for reelection in 18442 He was chairman of the Committee on Roads and Canals, 1841–1845, and was on the Committee on Enrolled Bills, 1841–18432
On July 25, 1822, he married Sarah A Mansfield d 1824 Mansfield died a few months after the birth of Porter's only son:5
- Samuel M Porter b 1824, who died in youth5
On September 24, 1832, he married his second wife, Sarah G Barnard 1807–1885,6 his cousin and the daughter of Robert Foster Barnard 1784–1850 and Augusta Porter 1786–1833 Sarah was the sister of Frederick Augustus Porter Barnard 1809–1889, a Columbia University President, and Gen John G Barnard 1815–18827 She was also a niece of Senator Henry Clay 1777–18528 Together, they had:5
- Jane A Porter b 18335
- Sarah Frederica Porter b 1836, who married Stephen E Burrall 1826–1868,95 in 1863,1011 and who lived in London in 18857
In 1848, he moved to his father’s residence, in Niagara Falls, New York, and died there on September 18, 18723 He is interred in Oakwood Cemetery in Niagara Falls, New York12 Sarah died at Newport, Isle of Wight on April 30, 188557
Through his youngest daughter, he was the grandfather of Guy Augustus Porter–Burrall 1865–1890,13 a Cambridge University lawyer and Lt in the English army,14 and Stephen E Porter–Burrall 1868–1896, an 1883 Eton College graduate15 The family assumed the name of Porter–Burrall, by letters patent from Queen Victoria, on August 16 18869
- ^ Welles, Albert 1881 History of the Buell Family in England: From the Remotest Times Ascertainable from Our Ancient Histories, and in America, from Town, Parish, Church and Family Records Illustrated with Portraits and Coat Armorial New York, NY: Society Library Retrieved 14 November 2016
- ^ a b c d e f United States Congress "Augustus Seymour Porter id: P000437" Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- ^ a b "Hon Augustus S Porter" The New York Times 3 October 1872 Retrieved 10 May 2017
- ^ Press, C Q October 6, 2009 American Political Leaders 1789-2009 Washington, DC: CQ Press ISBN 9781452267265 Retrieved 14 November 2016
- ^ a b c d e f Andrews, Henry Porter 1893 The Descendants of John Porter of Windsor, Conn 1635-9 Vol II ed Saratoga Springs: GW Ball, printer Retrieved 14 November 2016
- ^ Leavenworth, Elias Warner 1873 A Genealogy of the Leavenworth Family in the United States: With Historical Introduction, Etc Syracuse, NY: S G Hitchcock & Company Retrieved 10 May 2017
- ^ a b c "Obituary 1 -- Mrs SG Porter of Niagara Falls" The New York Times 29 March 1885 Retrieved 10 May 2017
- ^ History of the Buell Family in England: From the Remotest Times Ascertainable from Our Ancient Histories, and in America, from Town, Parish, Church and Family Records Illustrated with Portraits and Coat Armorial Society Library 1881 Retrieved 10 May 2017
- ^ a b Andrews, Henry Porter 1893 The Descendants of John Porter of Windsor, Conn 1635-9 GW Ball, printer Retrieved 10 May 2017
- ^ "MARRIED" The New York Times 14 September 1863 Retrieved 10 May 2017
- ^ Staff, New England Historic Genealogical Society December 1, 1994 The New England Historical and Genealogical Register: Volume 24 1870 Heritage Books ISBN 9780788400711 Retrieved 10 May 2017
- ^ "The Political Graveyard" Archived from the original on 26 August 2010 Retrieved September 14, 2010
- ^ Fairbairn's Book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland T C and E C Jack 1892 Retrieved 10 May 2017
- ^ Venn, John September 15, 2011 Alumni Cantabrigienses: A Biographical List of All Known Students, Graduates and Holders of Office at the University of Cambridge, from the Earliest Times to 1900 Cambridge University Press ISBN 9781108036115 Retrieved 10 May 2017
- ^ Chetwynd-Stapylton, Henry Edward 1900 Second Series of Eton School Lists: Comprising the Years Between 1853 and 1892, with Notes and Index RI Drake Retrieved 10 May 2017
- Augustus Seymour Porter at Find a Grave
|US Senator Class 1 from Michigan
January 20, 1840 – March 4, 1845
Served alongside: John Norvell,
|This article about a mayor in Michigan is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
Augustus Seymour Porter Information about
Augustus Seymour Porter
Augustus Seymour Porter
Augustus Seymour Porter viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.