Augustus G. Paine Jr.augustus g paine jr cigars, augustus g paine jr smith
Augustus Gibson Paine Jr October 19, 1866 – October 23, 1947 was an American paper manufacturer and bank official1
- 1 Biography
- 2 Family
- 3 Architectural commissions
- 4 Ornithology
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Born in New York City, he was the son of Augustus G Paine Sr 1839–19152 and Charlotte M Bedell Paine 1840–192912 He was educated privately in the United States and Europe1 He became president of the New York and Pennsylvania Company, which was based in 230 Park Avenue1 The New York and Pennsylvania Company was one of the leading paper manufacturers in the country and a major supplier to the Curtis Publishing Company, the publisher of the Ladies' Home Journal, The Saturday Evening Post and others He died in his home at 31 East 69th Street after a long illness at the age of 81,1 and was laid to rest in Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx345
In 1888 he married Maud Eustis Potts April 3, 1865 – June 4, 19191, who converted from the Episcopal Church to Catholicism in 19136 Together they had five sons:1
- Augustus Gibson Paine III
- George Eustis Paine 1894–1953, was chairman of the board of the New York and Pennsylvania Company until his death He married Helen Ellis Paine 1895–1948, and their son was State Senator George Eustis Paine 1920–1991
- Alexander Brooks Paine
- Hugh Eustis Paine
- Peter Standish Paine, who was president of the New York and Pennsylvania Company
All his sons married and had children themselves1
Four years after the passing of his first wife, he married Francisca Machado Warren April 3, 1891 – February 8, 19817, daughter of Minton and Salomé Machado Warren of Cambridge, at St John's Memorial Chapel in Cambridge8 Together they had one daughter, Francisca Warren1 Minton Warren d 1907 was a Latin professor at Johns Hopkins and later Harvard University, while Salomé Machado was of Cuban background9
Augustus G Paine Jr was also the grandfather of the actress Molly McGreevey
Architectural commissionseditAugustus G Paine Jr House, since the 1950s the Austrian Consulate General in New York
Paine was closely associated with the architect C P H Gilbert, who received a number of commissions from him, such as his townhouse in New York's Upper East Side on 31 East 69th Street in 1917–1810 The house was sold to the Austrian government in 1952, the Austrian Consulate General is located in it today111213 Augustus G Paine Jr was also based in Willsboro, New York, due to his paper mill being located there Gilbert received commissions from Paine to construct the Essex County Bank in 192114 In May 1930 Paine also donated a whole library to the town of Willsboro, in memory of his mother, in the sum of $150,00015 Both the bank and the library were constructed by Gilbert in the Neoclassical style16
Paine also had Flat Rock Camp, his summer retreat on the shores of Lake Champlain in Willsboro, constructed for his family17
Paine was an avid hobby ornithologist At the age of 19 or 20, together with Lewis B Woodruff, he composed a list of birds of Central Park, counting over 100 species This was regarded as the first official list of birds of Central Park, and was published in Forest and Stream on June 10, 188618 An article in The New Yorker on August 26, 1974, calls attention to this early list19
His collection of some 1,200 specimens were later donated by his family to the American Museum of Natural History under the name "Paine-Jordan bird collection" A copy of the original catalogue and documents relating to the gift were also given by the family to the museum archive
ReferenceseditGraves of Augustus G Paine Jr and his second wife Francisca Warren in Woodlawn Cemetery, the Bronx
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "Augustus G Paine" New York Times October 24, 1947 Retrieved October 31, 2010
- ^ a b "Grave of Augustus G Paine and Charlotte M Bedell Paine" Wikimedia Commons 2010 Retrieved November 14, 2010
- ^ Observatory plot, Section 59, Lot 255-256
- ^ Augustus Gibson Paine, Jr at Find a Grave
- ^ "Grave of Augustus G Paine, Jr" Wikimedia Commons 2010 Retrieved November 14, 2010
- ^ "Mrs AH Paine, Jr, a Catholic Today; Leaves Her Communion with St Mary the Virgin, Episcopal" New York Times April 11, 1913 Retrieved October 31, 2010
- ^ "Grave of Francisca Warren Paine" Wikimedia Commons 2010 Retrieved November 14, 2010
- ^ "A G Paine Jr Marries; Union Club Member Weds Miss Francesca Warren in Cambridge" New York Times February 6, 1923 Retrieved October 31, 2010
- ^ John William Leonard ed "WARREN, Salomé Machado" Woman's Who's Who of America New York: The American Commonwealth Company p 851 Mrs Minton Warren, 105 Irving St, Boston, Mass Born Puerto Principe, Island of Cuba; dau Juan Francisco and Elizabeth Frances Jones Machado; grad Smith Coll, AB '83; m Salem, Mass, Dec 29, 1885, Prof Minton Warren, then Latin prof of Johns Hopkins Univ, later of Harvard Univ died 1907; children: Minton Machado, Francisco sic Machado Interested in higher education of women, music, and Romance languages Mem Circolo Italiano of Boston Favors woman suffrage
- ^ Doane, Ralph Harrington May 1919 "The Residence of Augustus G Paine, Esq" The Architectural Review New York: The Architectural Review, Inc VIII 5: 123–126
- ^ "Austria Acquires Residence in City; Buys Clendenin Ryan's Home in New Foreign Service Area for Consulate General" New York Times February 24, 1952 Retrieved October 31, 2010
- ^ "Streetscapes: 40 East 70th Street; A Growth Plan for a Neo-Georgian Garage" New York Times April 26, 1992 Retrieved October 31, 2010
- ^ "Austrian Consulate General" Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs 2010 Retrieved November 1, 2010
- ^ "Architecture of the Champlain Valley, Willsboro" PDF Adirondack Architectural Heritage 2010 Archived PDF from the original on October 25, 2010 Retrieved November 1, 2010
- ^ "$150,000 Gift for Library; AG Paine Provides Memorial for Mother at Willsboro, NY" New York Times May 20, 1930 Retrieved October 31, 2010
- ^ "History" Paine Memorial Library 2010 Retrieved November 14, 2010 permanent dead link
- ^ "Flat Rock Camp" Adirondack Architectural Heritage 2010 Archived from the original on October 25, 2010 Retrieved November 1, 2010
- ^ "List of birds of Central Park" Forest and Stream New York: The Forest and Stream Publishing Company XXVI 20: 386–387 June 10, 1886
- ^ Eugene Kinkead August 26, 1974 "The Birds of Central Park" The New Yorker New York XXVI 20: 78
Media related to Augustus G Paine Jr at Wikimedia Commons
augustus g paine jr cigars, augustus g paine jr furniture, augustus g paine jr pass, augustus g paine jr smith
Augustus G. Paine Jr. Information about
Augustus G. Paine Jr.
Augustus G. Paine Jr.
Augustus G. Paine Jr. viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.