Augustenborg, Denmarkaugustenborg denmark
Augustenborg German: Augustenburg is a town on Als Island in Sønderborg Municipality, Region of Southern Denmark in Denmark The town lies at the head of Als Fjord To the east is the Little Belt Ferry service connects Augustenborg to the island of Funen from the nearby town of Fynshav
Augustenborg has a population of 3,256 1 January 2019 It was the main town of Augustenborg Municipality until its merger into Sønderborg Municipality in 2007
- 1 History
- 2 Other notable people
- 3 References
- 4 External links
The town grew up around Augustenborg Palace which was established by Ernest Günther, a member of the ducal house of Schleswig-Holstein its branch of Sønderborg and a cadet of the royal house of Denmark, in the years after 1651 The palace, and the town consequently, received the name in honor of Ernest's wife Auguste, herself also from a branch of dukes of Schleswig-Holstein
The palace became the chief seat of their line which used the name Augustenborg as its branch name Later, a Danish king made the head of that line specifically Duke of Augustenborg They grew in relative prominence in late 18th century, and in the 19th century Schleswig-Holstein Question, being the symbols of pro-German nationalistic movement in Schleswig-Holstein The area was annexed by Prussia in 1864 from Denmark, but was returned in 1920 following a plebiscite
The Augustenborg male line died out in 1931, upon the death of Albert, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, a grandson of Queen Victoria Their female-line descendant today holds the throne of Sweden
Other notable people
This list excludes members of the nobility of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg, some of whom were born at born in Augustenborg Palace They can be seen using this link:See also: Category:People from Augustenborg, Denmark
- Richard Parkinson 1844 in Augustenburg, Als Island – 1909 a Danish explorer and Anthropologist
- Johannes Streich 1891 in Augustenburg – 1977 a German general in the Wehrmacht during WWII and veteran of WWI During the early stages of the North African Campaign he was sacked for his poor performance during the Siege of Tobruk
- Bjørn Paulsen born 1991 in Augustenburg a footballer who plays for Swedish side Hammarby IF, over 260 club caps
- ^ BY3: Population 1st January, by urban areas The Mobile Statbank from Statistics Denmark
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Augustenborg|
- Sønderborg municipality's official website in Danish
Coordinates: 54°57′N 9°53′E / 54950°N 9883°E / 54950; 9883
Augustenborg, Denmark Information about
Augustenborg, Denmark viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.