Assateague State Parkassateague state park, assateague state park campground
Assateague State Park is a public recreation area in Worcester County, Maryland, USA,, located at the north end of Assateague Island, a barrier island bordered by the Atlantic Ocean on the east and Sinepuxent Bay on the west The state park is bordered on both its north and south sides by Assateague Island National Seashore and is reached via the Verrazano Bridge which carries Maryland Route 611 across Sinepuxent Bay The park offers wildlife viewing, beach activities, and camping facilities It is managed by the Maryland Park Service of the larger Maryland Department of Natural Resources with the support of volunteers working under the auspices of the non-profit Friends of Assateague State Park
- 1 History
- 2 Wildlife
- 3 Activities and amenities
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
State planners suggested establishing a state park on Assateague Island in 1940 and again in 1952 The park was finally created in 1956 when the state Board of Public Works accepted a gift of 540 acres from North Ocean Beach, Incorporated Funds for further acquisitions were allocated by the General Assembly of Maryland in 1959 and 1962, with funding for facility development allocated in 1965
A tradition of New Year's Day walks in the park began on January 1, 1970 It was started by two women who sought to celebrate the beauty of the island and rally against plans to develop areas around it It subsequently became an annual tradition, with the 30th iteration taking place in 2010, and became very popular over time, with people driving from various other parts of the state to join in with up to 300 others The Ilia Fehrer / Judy Johnson Memorial Beach Walk, named after the two women who started it, is now part of Maryland's roster of the nationwide offering of First Day Hikes in state parks
Wildlife found in the park's marsh areas include deer, waterfowl, and feral horses
Activities and amenities
Rackliffe House, which overlooks Sinepuxent Bay, is a restored 18th-century coastal plantation building that houses the Coastal Maryland Heritage Center The park campground has 350 sites
- Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge
- ^ a b "Assateague State Park" Geographic Names Information System United States Geological Surveymw-parser-output citecitationmw-parser-output citation qmw-parser-output id-lock-free a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-free amw-parser-output id-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output id-lock-registration a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-registration amw-parser-output id-lock-subscription a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-subscription amw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registrationmw-parser-output cs1-subscription span,mw-parser-output cs1-registration spanmw-parser-output cs1-ws-icon amw-parser-output codecs1-codemw-parser-output cs1-hidden-errormw-parser-output cs1-visible-errormw-parser-output cs1-maintmw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registration,mw-parser-output cs1-formatmw-parser-output cs1-kern-left,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-leftmw-parser-output cs1-kern-right,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-right
- ^ "DNR Lands Acreage" PDF Maryland Department of Natural Resources p 8 Retrieved February 12, 2020
- ^ a b "Assateague State Park" Maryland Department of Natural Resources Retrieved February 8, 2016
- ^ "Friends of Assateague State Park" Maryland Department of Natural Resources Retrieved February 12, 2020
- ^ Preferred Planning Alternative for Assateague Island Comprehensive Plan Report NPS Fish and Wildlife Service/Maryland State Park Service August 1979 p 14 Retrieved October 7, 2016
- ^ a b c "Maryland State Park First Day Hikes 1/1/2018" Maryland Department of Natural Resources Retrieved January 16, 2018
- ^ "Winter in Ocean City: Sparkling fun" OceanCitycom November 30, 2009 Retrieved January 16, 2018
- ^ Klingaman, Mike December 27, 2015 "First Day Hikes give a 'great perspective for the coming year'" The Baltimore Sun Retrieved January 16, 2018
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Assateague State Park|
- Assateague State Park Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Assateague Island National Seashore National Park Service
|Maryland Department of Natural Resources web: Maryland Forest Service and Maryland Park Service web|
assateague state park, assateague state park address, assateague state park cabins, assateague state park campground, assateague state park camping map, assateague state park campsite map, assateague state park campsite photos, assateague state park horses, assateague state park reservations, assateague state park weather
Assateague State Park Information about
Assateague State Park
Assateague State Park
Assateague State Park viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.