Asher B. Batesjohn b bates, james b bates
Asher B Bates May 2, 1810 – June 1, 1873 was a lawyer and politician in the United States state of Michigan and in the Kingdom of Hawaii
His father was also named Asher Bates, so he is sometimes called Asher Bates Jr12
Bates was born May 2, 1810 in Le Roy, Genesee County, New York3 He graduated from Union College in 18284 and came to Detroit, Michigan in 1831, where he was an attorney, Justice of the Peace, City Attorney, and City Recorder In 1838, he served as Mayor of Detroit5 after the resignation of Augustus S Porter to run for the US Senate6 He was also an agent for the Protection Insurance Company of Hartford7 He married Lucilla Beals October 23, 1832, but she died in 18398
He established the practice of Farnsworth & Bates with Elon Farnsworth They were joined by Henry N Walker in 1836, who had studied law in their office In 1837, Farnsworth left the firm to become chancellor of the chancery court of Michigan and with the addition of Samuel T Douglass, the firm became Bates, Walker & Douglass The firm of Walker & Douglass continued after Bates' departure for several years until they were joined by James V Campbell Both Campbell and Douglass served terms on the Michigan Supreme Court9 and both Farnsworth and Walker served as Michigan Attorney General10
He married Elizabeth Gertrude or Gilmore Judd 1810– December 6, 1843 At some point he moved from Detroit to Jackson County, Michigan, where he ran unsuccessfully as a Whig Party candidate for Justice of Probate in 184411
By July 1848 he had emigrated to the Hawaiian Islands and became a citizen of the Kingdom of Hawaii12 Bates was brother-in-law of Gerrit P Judd, a former American missionary doctor who was then a power cabinet minister13 He served from August 21, 1849 to 1853 on the Privy Council of King Kamehameha III On November 1, 1849 he became Registrar of Conveyances until August 3, 185914 Although the office of Attorney General was not officially part of the cabinet since the resignation of flamboyant but short-lived John Ricord, Bates served as lawyer for the king15 Ricord had help design the executive branch and served as combined Attorney General and Registrar, or chief Notary Public Bates was succeeded by Thomas Brown who served until 188616
He moved to San Francisco in 1863 to become a bankruptcy judge and died on June 1, 187317 of leprosy contracted while in Hawaii18
- ^ Orsamus Turner 1852 History of the pioneer settlement of Phelps & Gorham's purchase, and Morris' reserve W Alling p 177
- ^ Janet Wethy Foley September 1934 Early Settlers of New York State: Their Ancestors and Descendants I p 28 ISBN 978-0-7884-3711-3
- ^ De Land p 277 indicates he is a native of Boston, but this may be mistaken as De Land also states that Bates came to Detroit in 1840 which is clearly mistaken as he held public offices in the 1830s
- ^ Bret Harte, ed 1865 Third annual meeting of the Associated alumni of the Pacific coast p 98
- ^ See Farmer p 140
- ^ See Lanham p 419
- ^ See Farmer p 873
- ^ Silas Farmer 1890 History of Detroit and Wayne County and early Michigan 2 pp 1035–1036
- ^ See Moore p 1291
- ^ See Tuttle p 672
- ^ See De Land p 295
- ^ "Naturalization records" state archives digital collections state of Hawaii Retrieved 2010-03-16
- ^ Gerrit Parmele Judd IV 1960 Dr Judd, Hawaii's friend: a biography of Gerrit Parmele Judd, 1803-1873 University of Hawaii Press p 206
- ^ "Bates, Asher B office record" state archives digital collections state of Hawaii Archived from the original on 2012-03-06 Retrieved 2010-03-16
- ^ "Attorney General's Department - Organization of" PDF state archives digital collections state of Hawaii Archived from the original PDF on 2010-05-27 Retrieved 2010-03-12
- ^ Thomas George Thrum 1903 "Bureau of Conveyances" Hawaii Annual pp 123–126
- ^ See Durant p 296
- ^ See Burton p 1146
- Burton, Clarence Monroe 2005 1922 The city of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922 Ann Arbor, Mich: University of Michigan Library Retrieved 2007-04-15
- De Land, Charles V 2005 1903 De Land's history of Jackson county, Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich: University of Michigan Library Retrieved 2007-04-15
- Durant, Samuel W 2005 1877 History of Oakland County, Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich: University of Michigan Library Retrieved 2007-04-15
- Farmer, Silas 2005 1884 The history of Detroit and Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich: University of Michigan Library Retrieved 2007-04-15
- Lanman, Charles 2005 1871 "Biographical History of Michigan" The red book of Michigan; a civil, military and biographical history Ann Arbor, Mich: University of Michigan Library p 419 Retrieved 2007-04-15
- Moore, Charles 2005 1915 History of Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich: University of Michigan Library Retrieved 2007-04-15
- Tuttle, Charles Richard 2005 1873 General history of the state of Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich: University of Michigan Library Retrieved 2007-04-15
james b bates, john b bates, john b bates md
Asher B. Bates Information about
Asher B. Bates
Asher B. Bates
Asher B. Bates viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.