Knyaz Andrey Mikhailovich Kurbsky Russian: Андрей Михайлович Курбский; 1528–1583 was an intimate friend and then a leading political opponent of the Russian tsar Ivan the Terrible His correspondence with the tsar is a unique source for the history of 16th-century Russia In the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in the 16th century Prince Andrew Kurbsky dynasty Rurikovich was written in Polish in documents under the surname Krupski Coat of arms Levart Lew II
Kurbsky belonged to a family of Rurikid princes, which got its name from the town of Kurba near Yaroslavl At an early age, he gained renown for the courage displayed in the annual campaigns against Kazan During the decisive siege of Kazan he commanded the right flank of the Russian army and was wounded Two years later, he defeated the Udmurt rebels and became a boyar At that time, Kurbsky became one of the closest associates and advisors to the Tsar
During the Livonian War, Kurbsky led the Russian troops against the fortress of Dorpat today Tartu, Estonia, and was victorious After Ivan failed to renew his commission, Kurbsky defected to Lithuania on April 30, 1564, citing impending repressions as his reason Later the same year he led a Polish-Lithuanian army against Russia and devastated the region of Velikie Luki As a reward, Sigismund II August, king of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, gave him the town of Kovel in Volhynia Ukraine, where he lived peacefully, defending his Orthodox subjects from Polish encroachments Kurbsky thus became the first Russian political emigre
Kurbsky is best remembered for a series of vitriolic letters he exchanged with the Tsar between 1564 and 1579 In 1573, he wrote a political pamphlet, which voiced the former independent princeling's disapproval of Ivan's slide towards absolutism In his writings, Kurbsky blames the tsar for a number of pathologically cruel crimes, but historians still disagree as to whether his claims should be given credit Kurbsky's language is remarkable for abundance of foreign loans, especially from Latin, which he had mastered in emigration
Prince Kurbsky often supported the opposition to the regime Grandson of Semyon Ivanovich Kurbsky was married to the daughter of a disgraced Prince Andrew of the Uglich Kurbsky support in the struggle for the throne, not Vasily III, and grandson, Dmitri, even more than earned the dislike of Moscow's rulers
Dmitri's son Prince Kurbsky Krupski from Orthodoxy converted to Catholicism And he left progeny in Belarus
A dramatized account of his life, in which he is depicted as the second most powerful aristocrat in Russia, only after the Tsar, who is constantly put under pressure by boyars that want to make him revolt against the imperial authority at Moscow, can be found in the epic work of Soviet film director Sergei Eisenstein, Ivan the Terrible
- ^ с LII "Skorowidz do herbow" с 871 «Herby Rycerstwa Polskiego przez Bartosza Paprockiego zebrene i wydane r p 1584 1789 Wydanie Kazimierza Jozefa Turowskiego Krakow Nakladem wydawnictwa biblioteki polskiej 1858»
- ^ a b Jozef Wolff, «Kniaziowie Litewsko-Ruscy», Warszawa, 1895 r, Cz 1 str 194-197 Kurbski-Jaroslawski, Cz 2 str 662 Kozar-Krupski
- ^ с504-506 tom 1 Index, Tesserae gentiliciae in regno Poloniae s M D Lit,"Orbis Poloni", Simone Okolski, Cracov, 1641;
- ^ c554 herb Krupskich, “Poczet herbow szlachty Korony Polskiey y Wielkiego Xięstwa Litewskiego: gniazdo y perspektywa staroświeckiey cnoty”, Potocki Wacław, Krakow, 1696 r
- ^ Andrzej Nowak, The Russo-Polish Historical Confrontation, Sarmatian Review, January 1997 Issue
- ^ be:Андрэй Курбскі
- genealogy Андрей Михайлович Курбский in Russian
- Correspondence of Ivan IV and Kurbsky in Russian
- Kurbsky's History of the Grand Prince of Moscow in Russian
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andrey Kurbsky|
Andrey Kurbsky Information about
Andrey Kurbsky viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.