Andrew Stromingerandrew strominger, andrew strominger harvard
Andrew Eben Strominger /ˈstrɑːmɪndʒər/; born 1955 is an American theoretical physicist who is the Director of Harvard's Center for the Fundamental Laws of Nature He has made significant contributions to quantum gravity and string theory These include his work on Calabi-Yau compactification and topology change in string theory, and on the stringy origin of black hole entropy He is a senior fellow at the Society of Fellows, and is the Gwill E York Professor of Physics
- 1 Education
- 2 Research
- 21 Notable contributions
- 22 Awards
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Strominger received his bachelor's degree from Harvard University in 1977 and his master's degree from the University of California, Berkeley He then received his PhD from MIT in 1982 under the supervision of Roman Jackiw Prior to joining Harvard as a professor in 1997, he held a faculty position at the University of California, Santa Barbara He is the author of over 200 publications
- a paper with Cumrun Vafa that explains the microscopic origin of the black hole entropy, originally calculated thermodynamically by Stephen Hawking and Jacob Bekenstein, from string theory
- a paper with Philip Candelas, Gary Horowitz, and Edward Witten in the 1980s about the relevance of Calabi-Yau manifolds for obtaining the Standard Model from string theory
- other articles discussing the dS/CFT correspondence and the Kerr/CFT correspondence variations of the AdS/CFT correspondence
- S-branes a variation of D-branes
- OM-theory with Shiraz Minwalla and Nathan Seiberg
- noncommutative solitons with Shiraz Minwalla and Rajesh Gopakumar
- massless black holes in the form of wrapped D3-branes that regulate the physics of a conifold and allow topology change
- the SYZ conjecture, an interpretation of mirror symmetry as a special case of T-duality with Eric Zaslow and Shing-Tung Yau
- purely cubic action for string field theory
- superstrings with torsion
- a study of the relationship between asymptotic symmetries in asymptotically flat space-times, soft theorems and memory effects
- an analytic calculation of the exact spectrum of gravitational wave emission from extreme mass ratio inspirals EMRIs into rapidly rotating black holes these gravitational waves are expected to be detected with future space-based gravitational wave detectors such as eLISA
In recognition of his accomplishments, Strominger has been awarded numerous prizes, fellowships, and honorary professorships These include the Klein Medal from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and the 2014 Dirac Medal from the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, which he received for his contributions to the origin, development, and further understanding of string theory Furthermore, he received the Physics Frontiers Breakthrough Prize from the Milner Foundation along with colleague Cumrun Vafa in 2014 This award was bestowed upon the pair in honor of their "numerous deep and groundbreaking contributions to quantum field theory, quantum gravity, string theory and geometry" The Foundation also recognized their "joint statistical derivation of the Bekenstein-Hawking area-entropy relation unified the laws of thermodynamics with the laws of black hole dynamics and revealed the holographic nature of quantum spacetime"
- ^ The Dirac Roundtable
- Home page of Strominger at Harvard
- Harvard Physics Department Newsletter describing the Strominger group's research pp 21-25
- Strominger's articles in the INSPIRE-HEP database
andrew strominger, andrew strominger harvard, andrew strominger physicist, andrew strominger wife, harvard professor andrew strominger, personal life of andrew strominger
Andrew Strominger Information about
Andrew Strominger viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.