Alfred John Tattersall
Alfred James Tattersall 29 March 1866 – 25 November 1951 was a New Zealand photographer, who lived in Samoa for most of his life and contributed a significant collection of images of the Pacific Island country and its peoples during the colonial era
- 1 Biography
- 2 Gallery
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Tattersall was born in Auckland on 29 March 1866 He moved to Samoa in 1886 to work as an assistant in the studio of John Davis When Davis died in 1893 Tattersall took over his studio and negative collection He went on to live in Samoa from 1886 to 1951, including the volatile era when Britain, Germany and the United States were vying for control of the Samoa Islands Many of his photographs are significant in the history of Samoa and covered eras such as German Samoa 1900 - 1914 followed by the country's administration under New Zealand which saw the rise of the pro-independence Mau movement
Tattersall went to Samoa in 1886 to be an assistant in the photography studio of British photographer, John Davis This was the era of colonial photography in the South Pacific when the tropical landscapes and indigenous people provided 'continual fascination' for foreign photographers
In 1891, another New Zealander, Thomas Andrew joined Davis and Tattersall In the same year, Tattersall married Blanche Yandall In 1903, Tattersall took over the business when Davis died Postcards were a popular part of his business which distributed the images around the world Apart from landmark historical events, Tattersall also photographed hundreds of landscape scenery and studio portraits of Samoans posing in traditional attire
In 1920 Tattersall was appointed as one of the three unofficial members of the new Legislative Council of Western Samoa He contested the 1926 elections to the Council, but was unsuccessful
He died in Western Samoa on 25 November 1951 at the age of 85
German, British and American warships in Apia harbour, 1899
Mau movement leaders and Tupua Tamasese Lealofi III in front of the octagonal Mau office, 1929
The death of Tupua Tamasese Lealofi III
New Zealand police in Samoa, 1930
Samoan exiles aboard German warship taking them to Saipan, including Lauaki Namulauulu Mamoe, 1909
Volcanic eruption of Mt Matavanu on Savai'i, 1905
A church damaged by lava on Savai'i, 1905
Architecture of Samoa, traditional houses fale in Mulinu'u, circa 1900s
- ^ "Works of Art, Photographer and Photo Source" The Metropolitan Museum of Art Retrieved 13 February 2009mw-parser-output citecitationmw-parser-output citation qmw-parser-output id-lock-free a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-free amw-parser-output id-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output id-lock-registration a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-registration amw-parser-output id-lock-subscription a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-subscription amw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registrationmw-parser-output cs1-subscription span,mw-parser-output cs1-registration spanmw-parser-output cs1-ws-icon amw-parser-output codecs1-codemw-parser-output cs1-hidden-errormw-parser-output cs1-visible-errormw-parser-output cs1-maintmw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registration,mw-parser-output cs1-formatmw-parser-output cs1-kern-left,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-leftmw-parser-output cs1-kern-right,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-rightmw-parser-output citation mw-selflink
- ^ a b Maxwell, Anne 2000 Colonial Photography and Exhibitions: Representations of the Native and the Making of European Identities Continuum International Publishing Group p 166 ISBN 0-7185-0229-9 Retrieved 13 February 2010
- ^ a b Alfred James Tattersall Museum of New Zealand
- ^ Nordstrom A 1991 "Early Photography in Samoa" History of Photography 15: 280
- ^ Webb, Virginia-Lee July 1996 "Picturing paradise: photographs of Samoan life and culture, 1875-1925" USA Today Society for the Advancement of Education Retrieved 13 February 2009
- ^ a b Mr AJ Tattersall Pacific Islands Monthly, December 1951, p120
- ^ "View of Vaea hill, Samoa, ca1897" University of Southern California Retrieved 13 February 2009
- ^ Lauofo Meti 2002 Samoa: The Making of the Constitution, National University of Samoa, p17
- ^ Legislative Council Elections Samoanische Zeitung, 3 December 1926
- Samoans Posed in Front of a Hut with Palm Fronds and Thatched Roof; a photograph with biographical information about Tattersall from the World Digital Library
Alfred John Tattersall Information about
Alfred John Tattersall
Alfred John Tattersall
Alfred John Tattersall viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.