Donald Harington (writer)donald harrington writer sontag, donald harrington writer nin
Donald Douglas Harington December 22, 1935 – November 7, 2009 was an American author and visual artist All but the first of his novels either take place in or have an important connection to "Stay More," a fictional Ozark Mountains town based somewhat on Drakes Creek, Arkansas, where Harington spent summers as a child
Harington was born and raised in Little Rock, Arkansas He lost nearly all of his hearing at age 12 due to meningitis This did not prevent him from picking up and remembering the vocabulary and modes of expression among the Ozark denizens, nor in conducting his teaching career as an adult
Though he intended to be a novelist from a very early age, his course of study and his teaching career were in art and art history He taught art history in New York City, New England, and South Dakota before returning to the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, his alma mater, where he taught for 22 years before his retirement on May 1, 2008
Entertainment Weekly called him "America's greatest unknown writer" The novelist and critic Fred Chappell said of him "Donald Harington isn't an unknown writer He's an undiscovered continent" Novelist James Sallis, writing in the Boston Globe: "Harington's books are of a piece -- the quirkiest, most original body of work in contemporary US letters"
Harington died of pneumonia, after a long illness, in Springdale on November 7, 2009
His novels are available from The Toby Press in a uniform edition, with cover illustrations by Wendell Minor
A 2013 biopic of Harington titled Stay More: The World of Donald Harington was created by filmmaker Brian Walter based upon interviews with Harington and his wife during 2006-2007, which was released in 2013 and is distributed by the University of Arkansas Press
- 1 Novels
- 2 Nonfiction
- 3 Awards
- 4 References
- 5 External links
- Enduring 2009
- Farther Along 2008
- The Pitcher Shower 2005
- With 2004
- Thirteen Albatrosses or, Falling off the Mountain 2002
- When Angels Rest 1998
- Butterfly Weed 1996
- Ekaterina 1993
- The Choiring of the Trees 1991
- The Cockroaches of Stay More 1989
- Let Us Build Us a City 1987
- The Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks 1975
- Some Other Place The Right Place 1972, adapted into the film Return in 1985
- Lightning Bug 1970
- The Cherry Pit 1965
- On a Clear Day: The Paintings of George Dombek, 1975-1994 1995
- Let Us Build Us a City: Eleven Lost Towns 1986
- Oxford American Lifetime Award for Contributions to Southern Literature, 2006
- Robert Penn Warren Award for Fiction, 2003
- Arkansas Writers Hall of Fame, 1996
- Porter Prize for Literary Excellence, 1987
- ^ "Obituary" Chicago Tribune November 13, 2013
- ^ Bartholomew, Dustin June 27, 2013 "'Stay More' documentary on late author, UA professor Donald Harington in the works" Fayetteville Flyer Retrieved November 20, 2013
- Author-endorsed Website not currently maintained
- Biography and interview by Edwin T Chip Arnold
- Biographical article at the Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
- "America's Undiscovered Continent" — article on his life and work
- "Wry Stories and Word Music" — article on themes, techniques, and cultural background
- "Donald Harington, Ozark Surrealist, Dies at 73"—NY Times obituary
- "Donald Harington obituary"—From the Guardian
donald harrington writer nin, donald harrington writer quotes, donald harrington writer sontag, donald harrington writer wiesel
Donald Harington (writer) Information about
Donald Harington (writer)
Donald Harington (writer)
Donald Harington (writer) viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.