Leonard Steinberg, Baron Steinbergleonard steinberg baron steinberger
Leonard Steinberg, Baron Steinberg 1 August 1936 – 2 November 2009 was a British life peer and multi-millionaire businessman
Born in Belfast on 1 August 1936, he was educated at the Royal Belfast Academical Institution Steinberg was the founder and Non-Executive Chairman of Stanley Leisure Ltd The business was founded in Belfast in 1958, but Steinberg moved to Liverpool in 1977 when he refused to pay protection money to either republican or loyalist paramilitaries, and after he was shot on 23 February 1977 by the Provisional Irish Republican Army Despite his move to England, he continued to describe himself thus: "I am Jewish, Northern Irish, and an Ulster Unionist"
Since 2005, Stanley Leisure has seen changes of ownership, with William Hill buying the bookmaking operations and the Genting Group buying the casino operation Steinberg sold a large number of his shares in 2004, but retained 113% of the company's stake His personal fortune was estimated as being some £108 million in 2005 He was also the founder and Chairman of Trustees of the Steinberg Family Charitable Trust
Steinberg, who then lived in Hale, was made a Conservative Party life peer on 23 June 2004 with the title Baron Steinberg, of Belfast in the County of Antrim, and had made contributions to the Conservative Party
The Northern Ireland Friends of Israel group was launched with Steinberg as president in March 2009 He spoke of “the longstanding links which connect Northern Ireland and Israel” at that launch
Steinberg died in London on 2 November 2009 while travelling to attend a sitting of the House of Lords He is survived by his wife Beryl, two children and grandchildren
|Adopted 2006 Coronet Coronet of a Baron Crest Statant on two Horseshoes reversed Or a Cricket Gules Escutcheon Per pale Argent and Gules issuing in base three Pallets couped in fess each ensigned with a sinister Hand appaumy couped at the wrist each charged on the palm with a Roundel all counterchanged Supporters On either side a Horse Gules maned and tailed and supporting between the forelegs a Torah Or Motto QUAERERE VERUM Symbolism Arms, Crest, Badge and Supporters allude to the Jewish faith, Northern Ireland, cricket and horse racing|
- List of Northern Ireland Members of the House of Lords
- Northern Ireland Friends of Israel
- ^ Cracroft's Peerage Archived 2005-05-20 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ a b Unlock Democracy website: Party Watch Archived 2007-10-27 at the Wayback Machine accessed on 25 June 2007
- ^ a b The Sun newspaper accessed on 25 June 2007
- ^ Sunday Independent, 27 May 2001
- ^ Irish Times, 24 February 1977
- ^ Daily Telegraph obituary
- ^ a b c Manchester Evening News accessed on 25 June 2007
- ^ "No 57340" The London Gazette 29 June 2004 p 8083
- ^ Unlock Democracy website Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine accessed on 25 June 2007
- ^ Belfast Telegraph 17 April 2009
- ^ "Gaming tycoon Baron Steinberg dies" The Business Desk 3 November 2009
- ^ http://wwwbelfasttelegraphcouk/news/local-national/belfast-peer-and-betting-millionaire-dies-aged-73-14548677html
leonard steinberg baron steinberger
Leonard Steinberg, Baron Steinberg Information about
Leonard Steinberg, Baron Steinberg
Leonard Steinberg, Baron Steinberg
Leonard Steinberg, Baron Steinberg viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.